EV Takes 4 Days to Charge

I never intended this to be a debate about the environment. As Wino pointed out, if you are trying to evac from a disaster, a battery operated vehicle is something you leave behind and hop in a gas/diesel powered vehicle.

Waiting 4 days, or even 4 hours to charge you vehicle is senseless.

Same. A handful here in liberal California. Again the most EVs of any state. Probably multiple state combined.

You are correct. Like no vacs no work, no money. No one is forcing EV. Daddy government.

I thought of this thread earlier while driving down the road. Car next to me had a bad Catalytic Converter... was rattling like a tin can full of pennies.

EVs being mandated for new sales is not much different than all the other emissions regulations cars have been given. Cat Converters, EGRs, gas evaporative systems, etc. All these expensive emission controls mandated by the government just because they dont want their citizens to die from carcinogens. Not much different, just the final step.

Last edited:
I thought of this thread earlier while driving down the road. Car next to me had a bad Catalytic Converter... was rattling like a tin can full of pennies.

EVs being mandated for new sales is not much different than all the other emissions regulations cars have been given. Cat Converters, EGRs, gas evaporative systems, etc. All these expensive emission controls mandated by the government just because they dont want their citizens to die from carcinogens. Not much different, just the final step.

What do you and most of your friends own? And how long have you owned them?

Do you believe, or believe we should believe?

Last edited:
If you are asking if I own an EV, I do not now, but plan to in the future.

If you are asking if I believe in using EVs. I believe its the only long term solution we have that minimizes the destructive effects on our environment.... and the destructive effects on our health.

I dont believe everyone should be forced to own EVs. I do believe that most people will own at least 1 EV per household in the next 15 years. I believe there will continue to be a need for gas powered cars (and tools) for at least the next 20 years, unless there is some huge breakthrough in technology. But that need will be reduced more and more as time goes on.

Currently, its not an all or nothing situation. And nobody is trying to force it to be.

I know that 95% of my personal driving is under 400miles at a time. Which means I easily could own an EV to handle 95% of my personal driving needs. Most people I know could say the same. Even you being the road warrior you are, how many days per week do you drive over 400miles in a single day?

People are latched on to the 5% of the time they need a gas powered car. And fair enough. Renting a car for long trips sucks. Most people who can will keep their old gas powered car. Those who cant afford to will go with gas... and yeah, the poor people get screwed because they cant afford it... which could be said for every new innovation ever.

People keep talking about the hurricane being an example of why EVs suck. Did you see the lines at the gas stations? You know what happens to gas when it gets water in it. 400 miles is more than far enough to get you out of harms way. You can carry battery packs for extra charge just like people carry a jerry can. No waiting in line at the gas station needed. Not saying its right for everyone, but there are a lot of positives being overlooked in that situation.

Im not saying its the perfect solution that everyone should own immediately. But most of the arguments against it are borderline silliness or just willful blindness. 5% of our driving requires gas.

Last edited:
Cant make this stuff up

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Nuclear War Could Reverse Global Warming

From TIME:

...even a small exchange of nuclear weapons--between 50-100 Hiroshima-sized bombs, which India and Pakistan already have their in arsenal--would produce enough soot and smoke to block out sunlight, cool the planet, and produce climate change unprecedented in recorded human history.

Dont tell Trump, if he gets elected again he will want to nuke global warming away like he wanted to do with the hurricane!

LOL. Sorry, couldnt help it, low hanging fruit.

Cant make this stuff up

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Nuclear War Could Reverse Global Warming

From TIME:

...even a small exchange of nuclear weapons--between 50-100 Hiroshima-sized bombs, which India and Pakistan already have their in arsenal--would produce enough soot and smoke to block out sunlight, cool the planet, and produce climate change unprecedented in recorded human history.

In all seriousness, a nuclear winter would suck big time for the whole planet. I will take the heat over the cold.

If you are asking if I believe in using EVs. I believe its the only long term solution we have that minimizes the destructive effects on our environment....

We agree. Just not on the timeline.

I dont believe everyone should be forced to own EVs.

As California goes goes the nation. Gavin Newsom could very well be a formidable Presidential candidate. His Majesty's zero new non EVs sold in California starts in three years.

So what do you see as not forcing. Walking? A Cuba style patching ICE together? I think it was @Tahoe Ray that said there will probably be some financial penalties to buying one in one of the freezer states.

I believe there will continue to be a need for gas powered cars (and tools) for at least the next 20 years, unless there is some huge breakthrough in technology.

We agree.

However, will daddy government allow you to own one?

Currently, its not an all or nothing situation. And nobody is trying to force it to be.

See California

I know that 95% of my personal driving is under 400miles at a time. Which means I easily could own an EV to handle 95% of my personal driving needs. Most people I know could say the same. Even you being the road warrior you are, how many days per week do you drive over 400miles in a single day?

Why do you think your like minded friends not own an EV?

You are wealthier than many that can not afford a EV today. Let's say one of the lower people live in a 200 unit apartment building. Assuming there are only two cars per family that is going to require 400 charging stations for that tiny little dot of population.

California alone has something like 30,000,000 cars on the road. Going to need 30,000,000 overnight chargers, soon.

the poor people get screwed because they cant afford it... which could be said for every new innovation ever.

F um, let them eat cake.

You can carry battery packs for extra charge just like people carry a jerry can.

I truly did not know that was an option. Cost? Size and weight? Longevity before you have to buy a new one?

m not saying its the perfect solution that everyone should own immediately.

Again we agree. In my opinion. And alot of people feel the same way. The infrastructure is now where close to being ready.

Even the people that are championing EVs don't believe it enough to own them. Just enough to tell others to.

Wealthy, Liberal, San Francisco has multiple times more ICE than EV. And it has multiple public transportation options.

We can talk power grid infrastructure also..

Oh,, BTW, California is banning new natural gas furnaces and water heaters in 7 years. All electric.

Let them eat cake.

And yes, I can afford an EV. Why don't I have one? Because I don't want one. I also want to fill up when and where it is convenient for me to do it. I am an American citizen. If I choose to run to the beach, probably Wednesday, I can fill up tonight, in the morning or on the way. 15 minutes plus a few more to pick up road snacks. One of my favorite hotels has about 150 rooms. Only a couple charging stations. $300-$400 per night. The lower cost hotels have zero. So the lower class can, well, just wait in line at the public station. My normal run may take me west to the sea then north or south as I please. I get about 400 mile to the tank so I am pretty confident I will find gas.

Again, we agree that at some day it will be feasible. Just not today, tomorrow or in the next 5-10 years.

I may buy an EV SUV for my wife as a grocery getter. But not as the have to get there.

Oh, oh guess is blocking nuclear power.

Cake? I want some!

---

Ive seen people use the emergency/camping power banks they make with 120v ac plugs. Or rig deep cycle batteries together.

But now there are some actually tailored for EV use that use DC power and quick charge. Like this one: https://www.zipcharge.global/

----

Many people I know have talked about possibly getting an EV for their next car purchase. Especially when the other spouse has a nice car that is the main car used for family trips. But EVs are just now to the point of being attractive and reliable to own. So adoption is just taking off. But many are still worried about that 5% issue.

----

You dont need 30m "charging stations". A charging station is for a quick charge. You just need 30m 120v outlets. A 40mile daily commute can be recharged overnight by a normal outlet.

----

And Im not necessarily "championing" EVs. They alone are not going to fix things. Plus I am an old school car guy whos first car was a classic truck that I totally rebuilt from the ground up. Part of me will hate to see gas take a back seat to EVs. But there are some really cool aspects about EVs that the haters seem to not consider. But it does irk me seeing all the "negative spin" put on them when most of it is baseless.

More importantly, I know its necessary for our civilization to thrive like we need to in the future. Its not about me, its about my kids and their kids.

Its high time us American citizens start acting for the future instead of just thinking about the future. The can has been kicked as far as it can go on this one.

---

If it makes you feel any better, Im installing solar panels next month. And I would be in favor of requiring them on all new construction homes.

Last edited:
Back