Farmers Vs Met Life

joe26

Hello everyone ,
I am currently comparing these two companies to work for as an agent and I would appreciate any insight on choosing ,
I am already licensed in p/c life and health and a background in outside sales but no ins. experience at this time

I agree! Hands down!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

VaDwayne is right!

Ask the Farmers District Manager how many of the reserve agents made it to career and how many career agents successfully completed the career program. You might be surprised about how few make it and in my area the ones who did had a very large natural market.

I started with Farmers and now I work for MetLife. I recommend MetLife.

One big difference... the "financing" Farmers gives you is a loan. The money you get from Met is a salary for the first two years. Plus they reimburse you some of your expenses.

Everything you get from Farmers is a loan that you will have to pay back if you leave the company. And if you don't meet all their requirements, you'll have to pay some or all of it back even if you stay with the company.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I would like to work for an independent broker but I can't seem to find one at this time.

These two companies are seeking captive agents and I wanted to explore these opportunities and see what they are all about.

With met you are a 1040 employee and I am still pondering the pros and cons.

Joe

Thanks for the replies everyone, I would like to work for an independent broker but I can't seem to find one at this time.

These two companies are seeking captive agents and I wanted to explore these opportunities and see what they are all about.

Joe

I just talked with a Farmers agent that started 3 years ago with me. I left within the first year and he hung in trying to "run to daylight" (you meet their numbers and you don't have to payback subsidy). He is this districts best salesman, but he was not able to meet their numbers for life sales b/c their life products are not competitive. He now owes them over $20,000.00 that they will deduct each month from his commissions.

That's exactly why I left Farmers. I started seeing the agents that were a couple years ahead of me in the program getting 25% of their commissions taken back to pay off their financing. And these were the top producing agents when it came to P&C. They just couldn't hit the life/financial requirements. When the top producers in your district are not hitting the minimum requirements, it kind of makes you think the requirements might be a little out of whack.

He is this districts best salesman, but he was not able to meet their numbers for life sales b/c their life products are not competitive. He now owes them over $20,000.00 that they will deduct each month from his commissions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Being an employee as opposed to 1099 made it a heck of a lot easier to get my mortgage and car loan.

Last edited:
Back