Final Expense to 50's Age Group

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it.

The takeaway....proceed as normal.
Find out why they filled out the card and go from there.

Either they have a need or they don't. I am not a strong enough salesman to create a need. Best case, I'll give them something to think about and walk out without a sale after an hour.

I ask if they have coverage through their job. If they say no then here is a solution. If yes, my follow up is. .. do you get to keep it when you retire? Very few do and very few companies that offer it a retirement benefit are trust worthy. My plan will be there regardless of what happens. Also, your young and Healthy so now is the time.

I like to show them 10 and 20 pays because most times they won't pay in as much as they get out. Then also explain that once the plan is paid up they will have more money in retirement

For a lack of a better word, I won't "railroad" my client through the presentation.

I am a big advocate of asking open-ended questions, as it is more akin to my personality disposition.

For a lack of a better word, I won't "railroad" my client through the presentation.

I am a big advocate of asking open-ended questions, as it is more akin to my personality disposition.

"Railroading" them will only get you a bad sale that will cancel immediately.

The problem with "open-ended questions" is that you just handed the client the ability to control/direct the conversation. I have only been in sales for about 20 years but that is long enough to know that if I can "direct" the conversation, a lot of folks that really want the "product" will take it. When I let them direct it, that just makes it easier for them to talk themselves out of it.

I'm a little old fashioned in the sense that I believe in getting them into "yes" mode and then keeping them there.

There is a sale made in every house and with every presentation. I prefer to be the salesman and not the buyer...lol

I'm just a salesman with an insurance license. :laugh:

"Railroading" them will only get you a bad sale that will cancel immediately.

The problem with "open-ended questions" is that you just handed the client the ability to control/direct the conversation. I have only been in sales for about 20 years but that is long enough to know that if I can "direct" the conversation, a lot of folks that really want the "product" will take it. When I let them direct it, that just makes it easier for them to talk themselves out of it.

I'm a little old fashioned in the sense that I believe in getting them into "yes" mode and then keeping them there.

There is a sale made in every house and with every presentation. I prefer to be the salesman and not the buyer...lol

I'm just a salesman with an insurance license. :laugh:

Strategy above tactics.

My approach to making a sale is to understand:

1) Why they mailed the card,
2) What they'd like a burial policy to do for them,
3) Gather enough information to establish what they need in order to match a product that fits those needs.

I find that unbiased, non-leading questions work perfectly fine to establish what the facts are in order to possibly make a sale.

More importantly, open-ended questions allow me learn the prospect's "hot button" words, people, and experiences, which is my ammo to help make the sale.

Lastly, just because one does not use tie-downs and assumptive language, doesn't mean you do not have control. The person asking the question is always in control, and the person answering it is usually not.

Using an open-ended approach allows you to progress the conversation in a general direction while allowing you to learn the important factors that will determine the outcome of the sale.

Back