Final Expense

Dr Ethyl Percy Andrus founded AARP in 1958. It was started to sell insurance to seniors, you are right. She started National Retired Teachers Association and about 10 yrs later she began AARP.

I love the fact that a byproduct of what we do is helping people. And I do help other agents all the time.

The driving force for my being in this business is not to help people. That apparently sounds harsher in print than my intent but it is what it is.

I know you do, I was just trying to make it a bit clearer for someone else.

Dr Ethyl Percy Andrus founded AARP in 1958. It was started to sell insurance to seniors, you are right. She started National Retired Teachers Association and about 10 yrs later she began AARP.

If that's what you want to believe...

The history books don't agree.

She started the AART. An insurance agent found a way to maximize on her business model and wanted to include all seniors to expand his targeted base.

If your version is correct, at what point did she turn control of everything over to Colonial Penn? Or did that never happen?

I want to look into this idea of helping people as we sell. The insurance company writes the checks - does that make them a helper? The agent gets the customer (client) to do business with the heper, er I mean the insurance company. Who helps who? The customer pays a premium, helping the insurnace company. Then the customer is the helper.

Help!!! I'm confused, who is helping who?

When money changes hands for a service, profits and benefits are the real issues. I don't thing the word help draws the correct image.

I want to look into this idea of helping people as we sell. The insurance company writes the checks - does that make them a helper? The agent gets the customer (client) to do business with the heper, er I mean the insurance company. Who helps who? The customer pays a premium, helping the insurnace company. Then the customer is the helper.

Help!!! I'm confused, who is helping who?

When money changes hands for a service, profits and benefits are the real issues. I don't thing the word help draws the correct image.

If the client lives a long healthy life then they are helping the insurance company and the agent helped by selling them the policy. If the client dies early in the policy then they didn't help the carrier. The agent helped the client but not the carrier.

AARP would like you to believe that but history can't be changed. This website gives both stories of their beginnings. AARP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Believe what you want but the indisputable facts are:

1. 60-Minutes DID expose AARP as a sales gimmick for Colonial Penn to sell over priced insurance to seniors in the late 1970s

2. The government did step in and break up Colonial Penn and AARP into two separate companies and doesn't allow them to do business together any more.

3. All the history books that are printed on the subject tell the version of Colonial Penn starting AARP by copying the AART which had been started by the lady that you are talking about.

4. Andy Rooney went to his grave saying he broke up AARP. He told of this in several of his books.

I was just saying tht Dr Andrus is the one that "founded" AARP.

I was just saying tht Dr Andrus is the one that "founded" AARP.

I get that. My point is that a very controversial theory. It's what the AARP wants the public to accept. She started a whole different organization for a noble cause.

AARP was started by an insurance company to sell lots of insurance.

Whatever you think of them today is fine but their roots were a little shady.

We agree. I. Have worked many claims in my few years doing this. When you pay a claim on a case you wrote and know that the family can move forward with a little less burden. That is definitely a win. A number of years ago I Delivered a claim check to long term clients. The daughter opened mom's check book and wrote the mortgage payoff check for her mother. What a moment. Tears everywhere.

I later wrote the daughter and her in laws. Win win.

That was a moment you will never forget! Bravo!

That was a moment you will never forget! Bravo!

That is true. That was a win.

In contrast is a deal very early in my career. I was showing a pension max concept. (manager said "say this") The guy took option 1, full pension. Kept putting off doing the insurance. Being only a few months in I allowed him to put me off. Yup. He died suddenly. At 65 wife had to move in her daughters and grandchildren to afford to eat. That was a loss.

There are many lessons in this business. Glad I learned that one early.

That is true. That was a win.

In contrast is a deal very early in my career. I was showing a pension max concept. (manager said "say this") The guy took option 1, full pension. Kept putting off doing the insurance. Being only a few months in I allowed him to put me off. Yup. He died suddenly. At 65 wife had to move in her daughters and grandchildren to afford to eat. That was a loss.

There are many lessons in this business. Glad I learned that one early.

That is a good lesso. Thank you for sharing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I get that. My point is that a very controversial theory. It's what the AARP wants the public to accept. She started a whole different organization for a noble cause.

AARP was started by an insurance company to sell lots of insurance.

Whatever you think of them today is fine but their roots were a little shady.

I understand where you are saying.

Last edited:
Back