From Selling Cars to Selling Insurance

bassplayer

Expert
I'm fresh out of the car business where I was pretty successful over the long haul. I am newly life/health licensed and am looking to start in the next month or so with some company (yet to decide which company).

What tips could you offer for making that transition? What's the same? What's different? What skills/techniques will transfer?

I know you can't resist so I'll give some starters:

* Stop lying
* Don't wear plaid (I don't... I promise)
* Don't spit/cuss/drink/flirt with customers.

Not much is the same - I sold cars for years and had a difficult transition into selling health insurance. I had to "un-learn" everything.

Car sales? Prospects walk on the lot so there's at least minimal interest.

Also, once they sign on the dotted line in finance it's over - they own it - not like they can turn the car back in 4 months later.

With insurance sales your clients need to be happy enough with the product and premiums to keep it so you continue to get paid. If they're not happy they cancel.

What's better?

*I can write through all carriers. When selling cars you obviously couldn't demo or sell the competition.
*It's nice not having to "sell" for a living. I guide my clients through their choices, they pick a plan and boom - gained a client.
*Renewal income.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response! I'm sure you remember the social stigma you have to overcome when selling cars...does that still exist in the insurance industry too?

I'm fresh out of the car business where I was pretty successful over the long haul. I am newly life/health licensed and am looking to start in the next month or so with some company (yet to decide which company).

What tips could you offer for making that transition? What's the same? What's different? What skills/techniques will transfer?

I know you can't resist so I'll give some starters:

* Stop lying
* Don't wear plaid (I don't... I promise)
* Don't spit/cuss/drink/flirt with customers.

I can relate to you, I cam from the used cars sales myself and left on high note and took that with me. As I moved into the insurance world myself there is plenty you can roll over.

Listen to your clients needs v. their wants. Why do they need it? job loss, divorce, too old to stay on parents insurance, etc.... Less talking, more listening always allows you to maintain the conversation. Once you play the fact finding game, it is your job to find the right car "insurance plan" for them.
I.E. permanent insurance may not be the right fit, maybe a STM policy, or sometimes adding a supplemental plan to their current major med can actually save them money annually.( Higher deductible plan ) I am sure this will start a heated "debate" with many of the seasoned vets in the forum, but I will stand by my thought and own transition.

I will point out that their are many different aspects of insurance, especially Life & Health. Building the block of business may be your biggest hurdle to get over starting, but that is why their are forums like this and GA's / MGA's that have these start up options to get you going. As a car salesman you should know, you still need to find the customer. Yes, some come to the dealership, but when I was in carsales, I went to every body shop, goodyear, and called, low and behold, local insurance agents to drop off my card. I would offer free car washed for them on every lead they gave me. Network marketing is still around and does work, plus it's FREE. You just need to find out what your competition is doing, and do one better.

Building an agency / book of business will not happen over night. " You can plant a 50' Oak tree over night, you need to water it and let it grow."

;)

oh no....you guys don't get a bad wrap....

Last edited by a moderator:
HealthAgent: OMG. Thats worse than the TitleMax Commercials!

Rob: Thanks man. We need to find a guitarist...preferably an egomaniac

Back