From Selling Cars to Selling Insurance

I'm fresh out of the car business where I was pretty successful over the long haul. I am newly life/health licensed and am looking to start in the next month or so with some company (yet to decide which company).

What tips could you offer for making that transition? What's the same? What's different? What skills/techniques will transfer?

I know you can't resist so I'll give some starters:

* Stop lying
* Don't wear plaid (I don't... I promise)
* Don't spit/cuss/drink/flirt with customers.

I came to this business at the beginning at this year after 20 years in the car business. I sarted out in sales and ended up running a large Honda dealership before I realized at age 45 that I didn't want to do it for another 20 years.

This is a whole different beast.

1.You can't wait at the front door waiting for people to come to you
2. You will need to learn to prospect. I'm sure you think you did it in the car business, but after 20 years, I have never met anyone that has prospected as much as you will need to in this business.
3. You will need to get comfortable cold-calling on the phone, and in person.
4. Don't waste your money buying leads, building a website, on telemarketers, learn to do the prospecting on your own.This will be very important to your success.
5. Find a mentor
6. Work no less than 60 hours per week. Ask at least 50 people a day to buy insurance from you, on the phone, or in person
7.If you stay on this forum, learn to weed out the blow-hards from the real agents. Trust me, it will be apparent very soon. Take all figures that are touted on this forum and divide those by 50%, that will give you the real answer.
8. Work Saturday's too.
9. Get out of bed by 6:30 in the morning, and be working by 8 a.m.
10. Work as if you were working for someone else.
11. Daytime hours are for selling. Do your paperwork in the morning, evening, or weekend. Sell, and only sell, during the day.
12. VERY IMPORTANT: Other than a select few on this forum, if anyone wants you to call them, or email them, or private message them, they are looking to recruit you to do business under them. It is not your welfare that they are most interested in.TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!!!

From one car guy to another, you can do it!!!

Last edited:
VaDwayne,

I wanted to ask you after reading your post if this is a bad thing to go under someone trying to recruit you under this forum if they are offering you training, a LMS, etc...

I was considering contracting under a very active person under this forum but dont want to get burned could it be a bad thing?

If you quote dwayne, he will get an email that will let him know you have posted a question to him.

What Sti said. Also the upside is if he/they burn you, you can flame the crap out of them.

If you are not an experienced agent why would someone try that hard to recruit you? Not to sound harsh, but you must have something to offer. May be a question to ask.

VaDwayne,

I wanted to ask you after reading your post if this is a bad thing to go under someone trying to recruit you under this forum if they are offering you training, a LMS, etc...

I was considering contracting under a very active person under this forum but dont want to get burned could it be a bad thing?

VaDwayne,

Depends on the person as there are people on this forum that will help you. I would say that the majority of people can help you but don't take their good-heartedness as a simple desire to help their fellow man/woman, they are in it for the money just as you and I are(none of us would do this full-time, day in and day out for free).

If you are interested in selling med. supps or final expense, I would recommend Todd King(TRK3031962 on the forum). I live near him and have met him personally several times and I can verify that he is the real deal.

I have been working through him from day 1 and he will treat you right, however, if you need a babysitter Todd is probably not your guy. He will get you good contracts, help you get set up in the business, and point you in the right direction, but YOU will need to learn your products, learn how to sell, and work smart AND hard to make it;if you do that you will succeed, if you don't you won't.

What products are you interested in selling?

Last edited:
Back