Has this Happened to anyone Else?

It's kinda sad really, she is a nice kid, but I reaaaaly don't want to start that! So in the meantime I haven't responded back to her emails but I am going to have to or I can see this going on indefinitely! Just like the commercials....just say no---right!

Don't ignore the emails. You need to nip it in the bud. Like LGilmore said say it is against the company policy. If that does not work then say no I am an insurance agent not a taxi driver.

The only problem I have with "It's against company policy"... is that you can't prove it. After all, you ARE the company.

Whenever you need to explain why you cannot (or choose not) to fulfill a blatantly unreasonable client request, start off with "Let me take a minute and explain to you how I do business." (Now you're transitioning the tone from a pestering 'friend' asking for a favor to a professional conversation.)

Explain the things that you do on a professional basis and try to deliver a great job for each client.

Explain that you are too busy doing what you do that you cannot and will not become a 'concierge' service. "It's not the best use of my time and I cannot offer it to every client. Would you agree that if I can't offer a service to every client that helps me do my job the best way I can, that I probably shouldn't offer it?"

"When you have a question regarding your policy, or other related questions, please call me or send me an email. But I can't be distracted from my responsibility and my other clients by doing personal favors like this. I'm sorry."

"The only problem I have with "It's against company policy"... is that you can't prove it. After all, you ARE the company"

Well yes and no, imagine the problems for an agent who drives a client to a bank to withdraw funds to pay for an annuity. While innocent enough, could it be considered undue influence with a senior client? How fast would the insurance carrier dump you and say you're on your own, we never told you to do this?

So I do think it is legit to decline for insurance reasons. Sort of like when I had my securities license, there are just things you aren't allowed to do.

I mean if you present it in an apologetic way are they really going to contact the carrier and demand to see your contract? if so, you have a problem client so run... ;)

no offense but I would be offended if somebody told me how they do business in that way.

I rather say sorry no, than here's the deal... know what I mean?

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how much of a nag the person is.

If it's a one-time request, you can either grant it, or explain that you can't, as you said. Your solution and explanation would be perfect.

If it's multiple requests (or nagging/whining)... you've got to put your foot down at some point...because they were offensive first for trying to take advantage of you.

This person is probably lonely and missing human interaction... which salespeople are good at.

----------

Since Dobi said "She keeps asking me to do stuff for her!"... then perhaps a more stern approach might be needed.

She has sent me numerous emails over the last two days I did ask her if her work would let her drop what she was doing and run someone around. She said well.... Hopefully that did the trick if not then I will be a little more blunt!

Just say you can call a taxi.

I have health clients ask me a lot of weird stuff, but never for a ride. Okay, I take that back...did give two really hot chicks a ride, but they are friends in addition to clients. One doesn't have a car...she sends me a lot of clients so don't mind as much with her occasionally.

Back