Health Insurance Marketing

Sounds like you joined a "professional" recruiting-style agency filled with “magical” answers. Did they sell you all that stuff (at a discount)?
Yet, seems like you desire all of the right things so have you also prepared yourself solutions to your other needs? Like do your providers have competitive products that you believe in?
The most successful agent I ever met passed out his business cards to everybody, everywhere all the time when he was just a rookie. He absolutely believed that he could provide some good for anybody! Starting out, though, he did not really have a budget for all that nice stuff you have.
Perhaps he followed the Civil War example of Ulysses S. Grant who could not measure up either to the tactical ability of the noted Southern general and gentleman, Robert E. Lee. Nevertheless, Grant won for the North because of this motto: “Be there the fusest with the mostest.” Grant actually ground down the resources of Lee, yet it was not without high cost to his armies. It took awhile to win.
Making contact with as many people as possible seems to be the pivotal key to success here. This will also take some time. Have you prepared yourself for the long haul?
That rookie I knew had prepared himself for an extended program and after three years became the agency's top producer--all without using any other “magical” prospecting tools. To his credit, he also was young, single, personable and more importantly, possessed the stamina to follow through with his relatively simple and inexpensive game plan.
Can you?
To be successful is not just about knowing what to do. It also requires being in the right time and at the right place. Fortunately, that rookie was in his “comfort zone” and partnered with his own intense desire and drive lasted long enough to reap success.
How about you?
Good hunting.

Actually the one who was credited with the statement "git thar fustest with the mostest," was Nathan Bedford Forrest, who also was the founding father of the KKK. In the end neither General stated this line, it was first published by the NY Times in 1917.
;)

Personally, I wouldn't be focused on the all the sales promotion stuff. If it was me, I'd set up some one page websites that focus on either very specific niches you're going after or very specific coverage you're offering.

Each micro-site would offer a free report or perhaps a video that will answer the common questions/concerns this niche has about certain types of coverage. By opting-in you are then able to send your prospects ongoing messages to build trust and credibility.

This way when you make follow up calls you're only making them to people who have expressed an interest in your services. Best of all the whole process is automated so you can "manage" literally thousands of relationships as a solo-producer. If it was me, that would be where I'd focus.
Mark

Hi all. My husband is very active on this forum and pushed me to join. ;)

At any rate, I noticed someone (a few pages back) mentioned to start cold calling people from local chambers and other professional organizations.

I actually completely disagree with this statement.

What I do suggest is to get active with these groups. Our local chamber is filled with people I can partner with, people who refer a ton of business my way, etc. but only because I'm involved with them. The first few months no one took interest in us. I wouldn't expect them to, either. If someone randomly called me - who wasn't even a chamber member - to sell me something I'd tell them to take me off their list and have a nice day.

People value you when you value them. And once you realize this as an agent, I really don't think it matters what colors your business cards are, how many lawn decorations you have, or what kind of a punchy tagline you came up with - you will continue to generate business from referrals because people genuinely like doing business with you.

95% of our incoming business is repeat from existing clients and referrals from those individuals AND most of our clients have been with us since my father in law started his insurance company in 1948.

Hi all. My husband is very active on this forum and pushed me to join. ;)

At any rate, I noticed someone (a few pages back) mentioned to start cold calling people from local chambers and other professional organizations.

I actually completely disagree with this statement.

What I do suggest is to get active with these groups. Our local chamber is filled with people I can partner with, people who refer a ton of business my way, etc. but only because I'm involved with them. The first few months no one took interest in us. I wouldn't expect them to, either. If someone randomly called me - who wasn't even a chamber member - to sell me something I'd tell them to take me off their list and have a nice day.

People value you when you value them. And once you realize this as an agent, I really don't think it matters what colors your business cards are, how many lawn decorations you have, or what kind of a punchy tagline you came up with - you will continue to generate business from referrals because people genuinely like doing business with you.

95% of our incoming business is repeat from existing clients and referrals from those individuals AND most of our clients have been with us since my father in law started his insurance company in 1948.
Thanks for sharing your insights and experience...truthful, simple and effective. "Marketing" has at times been kidnapped by too many gurus and sprinkled with too much fu-fu dust to elevate it to a mystical science. It's good to remember that it is a process, and building relationships is at the heart of it. I have been contemplating joining the chamber and/or club, but have wrestled with how aggressively one should pursue contacts and business potential after joining. This shines a little clarity on how to proceed. I've heard this saying which may be corny to some, but probably true. "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."
Alph-red-o:D

I manage agents for a living and help them with their marketing. I get asked this question almost daily. Here are a couple of rules of thumb that may help you along the way. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more at length.

1) This business is about Relationships (with a capital R). The key to "Free Leads" is to Walk and Talk everywhere you go - and hand out your business card to everyone you meet. Ask for theirs and follow up immediately with a card or an email. Continue to follow up again by phone or email at least 4 times a year or more so that you are top of mind the next time that person needs to buy insurance.

2) If you are a Life or Health Insurance Agent, partner with a P&C shop to harvest their clients. If you are a P&C shop, then partner with a Life or Health Agent. P&C shops are notorious for not successfully selling life products, and visa versa. You would be SHOCKED at how much business there is out there just waiting to be written. Ask your MGA if they have systems in place to help you do this.

3) Harvest recommendations from your existing book of business. I'm not talking about asking for references, I mean have your clients pick up the phone, actually call their friends and associates and have them arrange a meeting for the three of you to meet. Ask your MGA if they have systems to help you do this.

4) Take that money you were going to use for lawn signs and hire a hungry college student to do a decent website. Pay to have your website optimized professionally for search engine Local Search so that you appear at the top of Google when someone searches for agents in your area.

Best of luck.
Daniel
Insurance Marketing by Sellin Advisor Group
Insurance Administration

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, if you have a good relationship with your clients, and you explain to them face to face in a professional manner that you have helped them, and now you are asking them to help you - and if you frame it in just the right manner, you would be amazed at how willing people are to help you grow your practice.

------------------------------------
Insurance Contracting

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a newbie here, I have been looking for way to market my product. My manager took me "walking and talking", picking up cards, and that was it. From my marketing experience, I know there has to be a way to create a follow up with all these cards, but he offered no further training on this. No schedule for follow ups, or anything. I am glad to hear the "4 times per year" mentioined above, as it crystallizes what I thought. Oh well, keep the comments rolling, as I am glad I found this site, and hope it will help me stay in this business.

Back