Here Are a Few Tips for Appointment Setting...

heathertofe

• Don't leave voice-mails; you won't get a call back
  • Even if the prospective client says "no" still knock on their door, you can still make a sale!
  • Buy a tape recorder and/or practice with family to ensure your voice sounds natural and not phony -- include a natural fumble
  • Instead of having the attitude that you have a deal for your client, have an attitude that conveys that you want to make a deal with your client
  • If you aren't good at appointment setting, even with lots and lots of practice hire an appointment setter to do it for you
    • Craigslist is a good source for these
  • Insurance magazines often contain many more suggestions about appointment setting, many of these magazines are free and contain advice from very reliable sources

I have used the same script for years. One tip I can give is that setting appointments has to sound natural.

memorize your script but stay loose. Record yourself and see how you sound played back. It will change the way you talk and what you emphasize.

Also - S L O W down. Don't talk 100 mph. If people cannot understand you - they won't set an appt.

Finally - don't think of them as a potential sale. Think of them as a new neighbor you haven't met and would like to sit down over a cup of coffee and see what makes sense.

That voicemail advise is so true lol

When I was first starting out I would get insulted when someone didn't return my call haha.

SP, nobody's picked on you for at least this thread so I'll take the challenge :-). I'll ADVISE you to take good ADVICE when you hear it. This is one of the most common errors I've seen in this forum so it's not just you. (Where's arnguy when you need him?

Heather,

Good post and interesting introduction to yourself. Thanks.

A couple of additions that may be useful.

First, try softening your voice a bit. You'll be surprised at how more you relaxed you sound when simply toning down your volume. This is counterintuitive to trying to sound upbeat and exited.

Second, instead of a script, make a list of important key words and phrases you wish to include and fill in the rest. This helps you sound more natural.

Bonus: If you have a microphone for your computer you can use that and a free audio recording program such as Audacity to record your end of the calls. Not sure about recording the whole thing, legally or technically.

Andy

SP, nobody's picked on you for at least this thread so I'll take the challenge :-). I'll ADVISE you to take good ADVICE when you hear it. This is one of the most common errors I've seen in this forum so it's not just you. (Where's arnguy when you need him?

Heather,

Good post and interesting introduction to yourself. Thanks.

A couple of additions that may be useful.

First, try softening your voice a bit. You'll be surprised at how more you relaxed you sound when simply toning down your volume. This is counterintuitive to trying to sound upbeat and exited.

Second, instead of a script, make a list of important key words and phrases you wish to include and fill in the rest. This helps you sound more natural.

Bonus: If you have a microphone for your computer you can use that and a free audio recording program such as Audacity to record your end of the calls. Not sure about recording the whole thing, legally or technically.

Andy

Sorry what was the advice you gave me? It went completely over my head.

:err:

My apologies for being so obtuse.

Usage for ADVICE and ADVISE.

ADVICE is what you give when you offer ADVISE - i.e.

He asked for my advice.

He asked me to advise him.

If you sound these two words out - advice rhymes with ice, where advise rhymes with surprise.

Hope this helps and forever solves this grammatical tragedy! :-)

Andy

Last edited:
Back