Hiring Someone to Create a Website Any Opinions?

What is a reasonable price to pay to have one created?

You don't need to spend more than $300 or so for a quality website with good content.

In fact, members of our association can have one for $249 with a year hosting. Built by a licensed insurance agent.

Rick

As mentioned, you can get a basic site for $300-$500.
I would say that the average fee is around $1000-$3000 for a custom site.

I once spoke to some web design guys about creating a totally custom WP Theme. Out of 6 different people the range of estimates was from $1500-$5000.

But for someone who is customizing an existing WP Theme those numbers would (should) be lower. (from my experience)

But like anything in life, you can find price points all over the place depending on who you talk to.

And for a non WP site I dont have any experience with quotes. But I would still think $10k is pretty damn high. But at the end of the day the only one who can judge the value is the customer.

If you feel its a fair price for the work then pay it. If you dont then dont.
But most Web Designers charge anywhere from $25-$60 per hour.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, LTCs site is a #1 or #2 site if I remember correctly. If that $10k included SEO to get him to that spot then 10k might be (probably was) worth it.

There are plenty of people who would pay well over $10k for a page 1 ranked site.

Last edited:
Too hard to search on my phone but I believe he posted a few weeks back that he fell off page 1 for major terms.

He did take a major hit.

The SEO and the site itself were two different critters.

A guy with an office next to mine does websites STARTING at $10k. That's from scratch. For more routine sites no reason to not use wordpress. I just did a major redesign on mine over the weekend and it's too early to tell for sure, but it looks like my bounce rate has dropped through the floor on my organic traffic. It's good on direct traffic too because I told folks to check it out, but I'm THRILLED with the new bounce rate. Still have a ways to go on it (including the logo that's being created), but I'm enjoying it.

Having the ability to have agents login to view contracting is pretty simple in WordPress. I've done it for a few recruiters and they love it; no reason to make it two different sites unless you really wanted to.

You could probably get away with spending a few hundred bucks and paying someone to do it. I used to agree with the "there is no reason to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a website" crowd, but you might be surprised with what you could end up with by using a larger budget and getting some bids on oDesk.

Can't you go to a website like fiverr and get some Chinese guy to do it for like fifty bucks?

I paid Josh a few hundred bucks to set up my basic WordPress site. Once it's installed he gives you an easy lesson on how to do the basics.

It does what you are asking for. Agents can download contracts. It's easy to add and modify pages, etc.

He did take a major hit.

The SEO and the site itself were two different critters.

Yeah, but lots of "web guys" promote both design and seo. So you never know what someones "designer" is actually doing for them. But I do understand what your saying.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I used to agree with the "there is no reason to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a website" crowd, but you might be surprised with what you could end up with by using a larger budget and getting some bids on oDesk.

A well designed website can be a businesses best asset. On the other hand, I would rather have an ugly looking website on page 1 than a beautiful site on page 100. To me, the SEO is worth 50 times the site design.

Last edited:
Back