House Republicans Schedule Health Care Repeal

medx

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texas
WASHINGTON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives plan to pass a bill next week to repeal President Barack Obama's overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system, a senior party aide said on Monday, but the effort is widely expected to fail in the Senate.

The new Congress will convene on Wednesday with Republicans in control of the House after November's midterm elections. They are set to move ahead with their campaign promise to try to rescind the new healthcare law, one of Obama's signature legislative victories.

Brad Dayspring, a spokesman for incoming House Republican leader Eric Cantor, said the House plans to vote on legislation to repeal the healthcare law on Jan. 12.

"It will pass the House," Dayspring said.

Although Republicans will control the House, 242-193, Obama's Democrats retain control of the Senate by 53-47 and are likely to block any repeal of the healthcare law.

"Obamacare is a job killer for businesses small and large, and the top priority for House Republicans is going to be to cut spending and grow the economy and jobs," Dayspring said.

Republicans, particularly from the fiscally conservative wing, were emboldened to attack the healthcare reform after a good showing in November's elections.

Among other provisions, the healthcare reform extends healthcare insurance to millions of Americans without coverage, but opinion polls show voters are split over it. The reform has become a favorite target for Republicans who say it is an excessive reach by the federal government.

Even if repeal fails, Republicans will yield considerable sway over the government purse strings and try to use that power to deny the Obama administration's requests on financing to implement the new healthcare law, a signature achievement.

Dayspring said the House will hold a procedural vote on Friday in preparation for the Jan. 12 vote

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0314683520110103

Last edited:
Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring said Monday the is a "job killer for businesses small and large," but Reid said Republicans are on a "partisan mission."

Reid is concerned about partisan missions???? Really????

well, it is in the best interest of the citizens of this country that the health care law is REPEALED.

More accurately, they scheduled a vote. Won't happen, even they admit that, but they will force a vote.

Dan

well, it is in the best interest of the citizens of this country that the health care law is REPEALED.

Not sure the objective evidence supports that conclusion. At best, you'd have to define the metric you are using for "best interest." If one were to use the metric of average life expectancy or average health of the populous, then the health care law is in the best interest.

If one were to use the metric of 10 year cost metric, I believe the non-partisan OMB has suggested that the holistic health plan and all accompanying provisions will be an improvement over the prior health policy in the US.

If your metric is "what's mine is mine and forget anyone that had a pre-existing condition or was laid off", then you are right that isn't in the best interest.

I guess it is just which metric you have a personal stake in.

Not sure the objective evidence supports that conclusion. At best, you'd have to define the metric you are using for "best interest." If one were to use the metric of average life expectancy or average health of the populous, then the health care law is in the best interest.
And what evidence do you have to support this claim?

If one were to use the metric of 10 year cost metric, I believe the non-partisan OMB has suggested that the holistic health plan and all accompanying provisions will be an improvement over the prior health policy in the US.
Only when they included cost savings from things that will never happen.

If one were to use the metric of average life expectancy or average health of the populous, then the health care law is in the best interest.

???? How did you come to that conclusion?

Even the OMB basically said they didn't believe their own numbers, but, given the confines of how they work, it would reduce the deficit. They NEVER said it would reduce the cost, except perhaps to the government. I don't believe they even said that. There were just enough revenue enhancements (if they were enacted) to offset the additional costs.

You should read more.

Dan

Back