How Are You Doing with Aged Leads?

The way agents here seem to feel isn't an accurate example of how the majority of lead buyers do.

Many of the agents here have been there, done that, with lead companies. Every major (and some minor) lead vendor has been raked over the coals on this forum . . . often justified.

And almost everyone has at least 1 "hero" story.

Most of the agents here who have bought leads, or still buy them, are experienced. They know what to expect and how to work a lead.

But we still get our share of rookies on the forum that have been told by their manager to (1) make a list of 300 people you know and then after you have burned through that list, (2) buy internet leads.

If not for rookies the lead vendors would either have to retool their business model or go out of business.

whatyouwantfinally,

Yes, if I was an agent buying fresh leads, I'd prefer this over selling our "stale" leads to Aged Lead Vendors. Please tell me where we have an integrity problem here.

1) Functionally adding SureHits, on average only 1 more agent that we did not sell the lead to. Like this:
We Sell to Two of our Agents:
Bob Klee Allstate
Bill Smith State Farm
Then to Sure Hits listing up to 6 listings but not Allstate or State Farm or any lead aggregators. Customer then has to fill out all the fields again. Unusual to get more than one more filled out.

If we sell to 4 of our agents:
Bob Klee Allstate
Bill Smith State Farm
Kelly Porter Nationwide
Sally Johnston Country Financial
Then to Sure Hits listing up to 4 listings but none of these companies or a lead aggregator.

This process does not exceed our distribution contract with our agents.

2) Again, we are not about taking away from our agents. We do not email customers 6 or 12 months later. We feel that would be taking business away from our agents, just as if we did the Aged Lead deals. Do you know of a Lead company doing this?

I wouldn't be singing a different tune as you allege. For us, it is about doing what is right for the agent & consumer.

It is an absolute FACT that if I match a consumer with only 1-2 agents on our thank you page they'll just go back to their search & pick another company or lead vendor. They want a choice. So in practice, sending them to SureHits IMO, is better for our agents than "wholesaling" it to another lead aggregator.
+++++

I am curious about this statement you made:

"Note: I consider neither the selling of aged data nor directing to SureHits to be ripping off agents. I just wanted to point out that when one vendor cries "foul", there's good reason to think it has far more to do with protecting their bottom line than any perceived unfairness to agents."

Why would you NOT consider us selling aged data to be "ripping off agents?" I'm curious. Is it "best" for the Agent that paid Retail? If so, how?

+++++

Finally: I'm not crying "Foul." I'm trying to understand the agent better. IF the majority of Agents here don't see a problem for me selling our leads to aged vendors, maybe I'll have to re-think my logic.

Like I've said before: I do reserve the right to get Smarter! :idea:

Some of us might prefer to make our OWN CHOICE. I, for one, if I visit one sight only want to get the one quote I went for. If I feel like getting 29 quotes that's up to me. The fact is, I don't use quote sites at all now as they will never stop calling me. In the past I had to put in fake phone numbers and then I hoped for an email quote. Now they have gotten smarty and they won't give you quotes "unless you talk to them first", which I think sort of defeats the quote purpose some of us thought existed.

The point I make is if I want a choice I want to make it. I don't want you to make it for me.

Aged leads are less effective than demographic cold calling. Do your sniffing around, find your niche market and get to calling. I find google map listings to be a good source.

Our agents have seen more success playing the numbers and calling through lists of aged leads than competing against 4-5 other agents using real time leads. Not to say that using the real-time lead approach is not working but there has been a higher ROI and less replacements with aged leads.

Some of us might prefer to make our OWN CHOICE. I, for one, if I visit one sight only want to get the one quote I went for. If I feel like getting 29 quotes that's up to me. The fact is, I don't use quote sites at all now as they will never stop calling me. In the past I had to put in fake phone numbers and then I hoped for an email quote. Now they have gotten smarty and they won't give you quotes "unless you talk to them first", which I think sort of defeats the quote purpose some of us thought existed.

The point I make is if I want a choice I want to make it. I don't want you to make it for me.

Mainacagent,

I'm glad you have found a method that works for you. But there is more than one way to grow an agency. I did more than my fair share of X-dating in the first two agencies I built. It worked. But I found internet leads to be better and switched.

I wouldn't dream of building an agency as a "one man shop" but many on this site feel that is best for them. Thankfully, there is more than one way to be successful building an agency. To quote a very famous guy: Jean Paul Getty:"I would rather earn 1% off a 100 people's efforts than 100% of my own efforts."

Another one of his that really applies to building any successful business that I love is: "The individual who wants to reach the top in business must appreciate the might of the force of habit and must understand that practices are what create habits. He must be quick to break those habits that can break him and hasten to adopt those practices that will become the habits that help him achieve the success he desires."

Now Go Forth & do Likewise!!

I reserve the right to get Smarter! :idea:

Aged Leads are as good as you make them out to be. Sure, a lot of them are bunk leads, people yelling at you to take them off your list. But some actually want to talk business. If you set up appointments well, you can make those leads work.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your CPA on a deal closed off of aged internet leads? Compared to raw data? Also when your calling aged leads internally, what is your cost of generating that lead (minus the data cost).

I ask this because I'm trying to figure out the matrix of insurance agents and how aged leads convert for them in terms of generating a fresh lead out of them and then also a cost per policy written. Any feedback would be great..

Back