How Do You Find & Acquire a Better Class of Customers?

Re: How Do Yu Find & Aquire a Better Class of Customers?

I am thinking about keeping the office closed Monday - Thursday until like 12 noon so I can go out and prospect every morning myself. I also just fired my telemarketer, they were useless and my part time assistant has just been put on a commission only basis. They have sold 3 policies all month and if I left them here alone they would be playing video games on their phone and not prospecting. I think walking in places may work because its some thing I have not done consistently at all and not in a long time.

I am thinking about keeping the office closed Monday - Thursday until like 12 noon so I can go out and prospect every morning myself. I also just fired my telemarketer, they were useless and my part time assistant has just been put on a commission only basis. They have sold 3 policies all month and if I left them here alone they would be playing video games on their phone and not prospecting. I think walking in places may work because its some thing I have not done consistently at all and not in a long time.

1.) Bank calls in to update mortgagee clause & get new docs --- go there and hand deliver.

2.) car dealer needs ID card - go there and hand deliver

3.) somebody calls to insure a new home - ask who their realtor & lender is & go meet them

4.) somebody calls because they sold their home - ask who listed it & who represented the buyer & meet them.

5.) when working on a new insured & discussing their liability limits---segway into their assets----curiusly ask who their financial advisor is --- go introduce yourself.

the opportunities for warm introductions are endless

Where are you located? you mentioned people coming up from NYC and you have NYCM?

NYCM has been very competitive. I've lost some good A clients to them recently. (I'm in NY Putnam County)

I am in Broome County. NYCM is very competitive but strict on underwriting . They literally call the client after the purchase and do a telephone interview to confirm things like how many people in the home. You can't have anyone in the home with a suspended license and they add everyone to the policy that does not have a car and their own insurance. You must have had a license for 3 years and no accidents in 39 months and not more than 1 comp claim in a year I think it is. So few of my customers qualify for this, its like winning the lotto when I find one who does. I get lots of scammer who live in the city but try using a relatives address in my county and people who just moved here and never drove before. One girl had 3 at faults since March.

All my customers are on eft monthly or PIF (for discount). I don’t use a sweep account at all. I don’t take cash or checks, ever. Just Routing/Account #’s & CC#’s. I don’t have any walk in business, by design, & I heavily target homeowners (most of them have cars). My retention is around 98% I don’t monitor late payors or have any kind of program for that. I have been doing it this way for as long as I can recall. I have some non std folks, but they pay in full & I'll re-write them to a pref co. asap.

----------

.... NYCM is very competitive but strict on underwriting . .....

They charge on the PIP for all household members...Kids! Did they update that horrible quoting platform yet?

----------

Heh, Why does it appear that everyone from Alabama is in NY?

----------

1.) Bank calls in to update mortgagee clause & get new docs --- go there and hand deliver.
the opportunities for warm introductions are endless

I think these are on the right track of being good ideas. What I do & would do is e-mail the party or InMail them (LinkedIN) instead of going to see them. I don't think going to see them translates the way you want it to. Plus, Time is Money. I recently spoke to a person that said they were going to sell their house, so I sent the info to a Realtor (one I don't know). He was impressed that I did that. I just planted a seed but who knows.

& of course the best way to get the folks you want is the law of large #'s. That's all it ever will be. Talk to a lot of people, be good to the folks that are good to you & move forward.

Back