How Do You Make Cold Calling Entertaining?

Has anyone ever had experience asking for referrals from people who turn them down on a cold call?

Headhunters work this way all the time. They call asking if you know anyone who would like this totally awesome, high paying job, with everything you ever wanted to do.

Of course, they hope for 5 referrals AND the fact that the job would interest you.

I haven't gotten these calls so much in the insurance business. Got them all the time in hi-tech. It was interesting though, they defused the cold call by simply looking for referrals, or at least positioning it that way.

I might try this (using a P&C example):

"Hi Mr. Prospect"
I'm a local insurance agent here in town, and I was just notified of a rate reduction for homes that were built 10-15 years ago. Do you know of anyone who bought their house 10-15 years ago who would like to see if they can lower their insurance premium?"

(okay, needs a LOT of work, but that isn't the point).

Dan

Knowing your product always helps. If you don't, it can be easily sensed on the other line.

Without that knowledge it is very difficult to turn the phone call into a conversation. Giving factual information presented in a logical manner is what generates interest in what the agent is saying and makes the prospect want more information.

Who yells, "you stop"?
I like the way you phrased it djs.
I think that maybe with just a 3 second tweek, that we are opening another door, to having more sales. I mean, you already are cold calling, and if your doing it long, its no skin off your back to hear no, why not ask? But Frank is right, gotta know how to talk to someone.

Has anyone ever had experience asking for referrals from people who turn them down on a cold call?

"Who do you know that is a lot smarter than you are that I could call?"

Seriously, you can get referrals on cold calling but you have to bring your "A" game. If the conversation is friendly, non-combative and you can engage them, it can happen. It is something you can sense as the conversation moves along.

I don't cold call anymore and haven't in years. When I did cold call occasionally you would find someone who was really nice and you could engage them in a bit of small talk and then ask a simple question.

"If you were me, who are the first 3 people you would call about (product/service)?"

Fun? It's called work for a reason, not play, not a hobby. You can enjoy it of course but I suggest you make it fun for the client and then (not than) it'll be fun for you!

Back