How Medigap Insurers Sales Rewards Hurt Seniors on Medicare

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
The investigation reveals that in 2021, over six million seniors purchased their Medigap plans from companies that offer agents special, secretive rewards for steering customers to targeted plans. Seniors can pay a high price for these agent bonuses: signing up for the wrong plan could cost hundreds or thousands of dollars more each year, either in higher premiums, higher out-of-pocket medical costs, or both.

...luxury vacations and other perks to agents are pervasive in the Medigap market.

...Bonuses and perks can create incentives for agents and brokers to steer seniors to the wrong products.

...Bonus perks for agents and brokers are legal and minimally regulated

...However, Medigap plans are an expensive additional cost. Approximately 40 percent of Medigap enrollees had annual incomes below $40,000...

...These undisclosed incentives are so pervasive that several insurance marketing organizations act as clearinghouses to advertise information about multiple companies’ various travel incentive programs for agents to seek bonuses with...

...Pushing seniors to purchase Medigap from one company over another can have real consequences when they enroll in plans that are unaffordable or do not meet their needs.....

...Another conflict may occur when agents push seniors to enroll in a plan from the company that best suits their own personal interest....

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/FINAL Medigap Sales Report1.pdf

Hell every day I get emails for $200-$400 extra per app for med sup business . CO’s gave pivoted hard to med sup the last yr to diversify there business away from mapd . There scared to have all there eggs in the govt controlled mapd mkt .

Hell every day I get emails for $200-$400 extra per app for med sup business . CO’s gave pivoted hard to med sup the last yr to diversify there business away from mapd . There scared to have all there eggs in the govt controlled mapd mkt .
Especially underwritten - the bonuses add up...

Many seniors have a supplement--simply because they found an agent that is PT Medicare and no MA certified. Far worse problem. Cuts out info on vehicle favored by twice as many seniors as Supps

Many seniors have a supplement--simply because they found an agent that is PT Medicare and no MA certified. Far worse problem. Cuts out info on vehicle favored by twice as many seniors as Supps

They usually find their way to a real agent in 3 or 4 years depending how fast their Med Sup goes up. What I love for some reason most of them write Mutual of Omaha which is the easiest to replace bc it seems to go up so fast and they don't bother contracting with any other company to offer.

Real agents don't spend all day taking orders for free shit. There's a difference.

To be clear I wasn't referring to you or others that choose to sell Med Sup only. I was referring to all the P&C shops, financial advisors, banks, etc. that dabble in Medicare but don't know crap about it. Notice Maine said PT (part time) Medicare? Sorry if I got your panties in a wad again. Ha

Real agents don't spend all day taking orders for free shit. There's a difference.
you're right. real brokers offer a variety of products so they can be sure to meet the needs of each individual client.
Real brokers, are not biased toward one product.
Real brokers do not use a one-size-fits-all approach to insurance.

Back