How Much is This Worth to Me?

Thanks for the advice guys. I did leave out some things that might have been helpful.

1. Insphere did not make me any promises. They did promise free leads for the first few months and they came through on that promise. Other than that, I was pretty much on my own to ask for help as I wanted it.

2. I had talked to this guy back in August about joining his team. At that point he did check me out. I did have two interviews but I never met the MGA. At the time I didn't have the support of my wife so I took a job that didn't pay so well but it was a steady income. Now she's sick of paycheck to paycheck and surprisingly supports my new venture! It just so happened that the day I contacted him again (in October) his MGA was conducting what he calls group interviews where he gets to know people. I went and met the MGA, the other guys getting interviewed, and other team members who they brought to let us ask anything we wanted of them. I thought that was a nice touch.

3. Something that was really big to me was that they didn't lie about the group interview. The MGA straight out told us he doesn't take everyone and he wouldn't take all of us. There were five of us there that day and he took two of us. If he had actually gone ahead and taken all five I would have believed he was just like any other insurance guy - throwing anything against the wall to see what sticks.

4. We did discuss a plan for after the warm leads because I don't want to use my warm market. I burned it out with my Insphere business. I have about 1,800 leads of different kinds from my Insphere days that I never even touched. These were people that were "uninsurable" and I paid for them myself and the Insphere policy was they never get a lead you pay for - even if you quit. So I have a hell of a list to start out with not to mention the company leads I can buy.

5. Someone successful to teach me is VERY important to me. Don't tell me you'll show me how to make 100k if you're making 25k. The MGA gave me a copy of the monthly newsletter and, true to his word, the guy that recruited me was in the top 25 in the whole company last month and the MGA's team was 4 of 84. I like being part of a winning team and believe someone who has been there and done it can teach me a hell of a lot better than some guy who is "just starting out."

Finally, the guy that recruited me had me over to his home with my wife to meet his whole family this weekend. We spent several hours together just hanging out and he explained how things work to my wife and made her a personal promise that he would not let me fail. I'm not kidding you. He actually said that.

All of this together has made quite an impression on me. Why go to all the trouble if they're just trying to get my warm list (which I already told them isn't coming)? Do you experienced guys think this sounds any better now? Thanks again for your replies.

Sounds reallygood, my question is... is there something in your gut that does not feel right and you need to get input from other agents?

Sounds reallygood, my question is... is there something in your gut that does not feel right and you need to get input from other agents?

I really don't like the 70%. Everything but that is great. I am wondering if all the other benefits I get being part of this team are worth the pay cut.

Well 70% isn't really that bad, I started off with Bankers Life, and it was pretty horrible, I worked my A$$ off and got 48% which being pretty ignorant at the time I didn't mind. I had a trainer that put a lot of time and effort into me, and a team leader that did the same. They were both good people but both were 20 year retired army so had a pension and just worked because they enjoyed meeting new people.

After about 5 months I got tired of getting paid less than half off what I get paid now and left, but the thing is the training was invaluable. If your team is putting in as much as you say they are then it's worth your time to stay there and learn everything you can.

I really only work to close 2 or 3 FE policies a week, but I'm 24 single, and have no debt and my average FE policy is about 35 bucks. Once I make my 1,000 for the week its time for bars, batting cages, and billiards.

To put it in perspective it takes me about 3 days a week to get my 1,000 and I never really work full days, but had I not suffered 80 hour weeks at bankers for less than a third of what I make now, then I would be screwed.

One last thing, don't neglect areas that are 2 hours away, I live in Cincinnati and I make it a point one day a week to drive an hour or more into Dayton, OH to knock doors. I do it for 2 reasons, 1. even old leads there are "fresher" than Cincinnati leads, and 2. I can't just go home if i'm having a bad day, it forces me to work, so sometimes going far away is good. Best of luck though, don't worry about what your losing, worry about what you need to do to close more sales

Well 70% isn't really that bad, I started off with Bankers Life, and it was pretty horrible, I worked my A$$ off and got 48% which being pretty ignorant at the time I didn't mind. I had a trainer that put a lot of time and effort into me, and a team leader that did the same. They were both good people but both were 20 year retired army so had a pension and just worked because they enjoyed meeting new people.

After about 5 months I got tired of getting paid less than half off what I get paid now and left, but the thing is the training was invaluable. If your team is putting in as much as you say they are then it's worth your time to stay there and learn everything you can.

I really only work to close 2 or 3 FE policies a week, but I'm 24 single, and have no debt and my average FE policy is about 35 bucks. Once I make my 1,000 for the week its time for bars, batting cages, and billiards.

To put it in perspective it takes me about 3 days a week to get my 1,000 and I never really work full days, but had I not suffered 80 hour weeks at bankers for less than a third of what I make now, then I would be screwed.

One last thing, don't neglect areas that are 2 hours away, I live in Cincinnati and I make it a point one day a week to drive an hour or more into Dayton, OH to knock doors. I do it for 2 reasons, 1. even old leads there are "fresher" than Cincinnati leads, and 2. I can't just go home if i'm having a bad day, it forces me to work, so sometimes going far away is good. Best of luck though, don't worry about what your losing, worry about what you need to do to close more sales

+1, Very good post-- Focus on the things that matter to make you money..

Back