How to deal with prospects ghosting you after a quote?

Get their carrier & policy date & put it in your system. 30 days before renewal contact them. 2x a year on auto & 1x per year on Home, commerical, farm

This is the best advice I'd give any agent, not just P&C. Leads are a mine. Not every contact HAS to be about insurance. I use a monthly digital magazine. I get calls and emails because I stay on top of their mind.

I'm running into this problem where people will let me run a quote for them,

They are letting you, Not asking you to. You are asking them for a favor.

it's annoying and disrespectful.

No, it isn't. It is annoying to me to get hounded by every new MLM or new agent whose manager told them to call their warm market.

I can't even get people to sign a simple AOR change request. And this is my warm market.

You have not earned it. They do not know you as Kenneth the experienced Insurance pro. They are your cousins, you are just Kenny. When my aunts finally started calling me for advice I knew I had made it. I think I was still a new agent of ten years the first time.

I don't understand how someone wouldn't sign a single piece of paper to support their cousin's business after wasting 20+ minutes of his time answering questions and letting them quote you.

Do they owe you money or big favors? 20 minutes is pretty minor when it comes to quoting time. I have spent many hours putting a life case together and have gotten nothing or worse find out they took my presentation and gave it to their golf buddy to write.

I think I agree. But to be honest. If they come to me down the road when I'm busy calling commercial clients that are actually worth my time, I'll probably send them packing to someone else.

Then you are not worth their time now. don't take it personally it is part of the process.

Get their carrier & policy date & put it in your system. 30 days before renewal contact them. 2x a year on auto & 1x per year on Home, commerical, farm.

Best idea. X-dating is one of the best takeaways I got from doing P&C. My X-dates included a lot of info. for cross-selling life or DI. I have x-dated term policies. Inventory.

I may be wrong but you sound young in the business. Get through your Project 100 so your manager gets off your ass. You are not going to make a career out of cousins that know you as the guy they have known as a kid and teenager. Some of my family are just surprised I am still alive and not in jail.

Find a prospecting method that works for you and find people don't care who you are as long as you can beat the current price. That will keep enough change in your pocket for you to become your client's guy. The guy that they trust and stick with.

X-Dating gives you people to call down the road. They eventually get to feel familiar with you.

Good luck

Why do you think everyone, including a relatives, is required to do business with you simply because you provided them a quote? Do you give everyone your business who gives you a quote? Even if it's the lowest quote, I doubt that you have always given your business to those who have provided the lowest quote.
It sounds like you have positioned yourself as a product pusher/salesman. That means, your prospects consider your product to be a commodity and find no value in you. When that happens, even if they do buy from you because of rates, they will leave you because of rates. Stop selling rates and sell you. How do you sell you? Ask questions that you know they haven't thought of, cannot answer, but now realize the importance of it. If you ask enough of those questions, they will buy from you regardless of rates, because they now begin to see you as a professional advisor, not a product pusher.

You also have to look at this as an opportunity to get used to using the quoting software. Frankly - you probably don't know what you're doing just yet, so they SHOULD be worried about just signing up with you. "My third cousin wrote my policy incorrectly" isn't really going to save them (or you) in a claim situation.

Get your practice reps in, become an expert at the coverage that you're selling, become an expert at picking apart existing coverage to create a gap, set x-dates for six/twelve months from now, and reinitiate contact down the road. You'll be very surprised at how you view the job one year / two years / five years / ten years in.

Also, you need to readjust the "are they worth my time" attitude. You're a P&C agent. There is no shortage of P&C agents. There will never be a shortage of P&C agents.

Back