How To Door Knock With a Mailing List

A carrier route is the grouping of folks in a given area, so it might be street 1, street 2, street 3 (usually more than a few streets), the walk sequence is the way the mailman walks it. So to put it another way, the carrier route is more of a geographic filter and the walk sequence is in the order the mailman would walk it up one street and done the other. so 121 main st 123 main st 125 through the end and then coming back 126 main st, 124 main st, 120 main st.

Clear as mud?

A carrier route is the grouping of folks in a given area, so it might be street 1, street 2, street 3 (usually more than a few streets), the walk sequence is the way the mailman walks it. So to put it another way, the carrier route is more of a geographic filter and the walk sequence is in the order the mailman would walk it up one street and done the other. so 121 main st 123 main st 125 through the end and then coming back 126 main st, 124 main st, 120 main st.

Clear as mud?

I can see a definite benefit to both kinds of lists. I would think that the product the agent is knocking for would dictate which list will be better.

Med Supps for instance, I would not want a carrier list. I would prefer the geographic filter and compile my own "walk list". I also think it would be a good idea for the agent to drive the area before ordering the list and get a feel for the numbers of prospects in that area first by talking to you.

Door knocking people T65 I think would be very productive. I would definitely want a geographic list for those people.

Last edited:
Now heres a question, and I do appreciate you explaining this stuff, what if the data is 65-70 year olds 15k-35k, obviously how you would walk that data and how a mailman walks the given area might be two totally different walk routes no?
Im wondering if they would group or walk it differently depending on sparcity of the above type of prospect within a given route area. Im sorry if I am repeating myself.

Speaking of door knocking wouldnt it make more sense to order and organize the data by zipcode as opposed to ordering a larger area, the route would be different no?

Now heres a question, and I do appreciate you explaining this stuff, what if the data is 65-70 year olds 15k-35k, obviously how you would walk that data and how a mailman walks the given area might be two totally different walk routes no?
Im wondering if they would group or walk it differently depending on sparcity of the above type of prospect within a given route area. Im sorry if I am repeating myself.

Speaking of door knocking wouldnt it make more sense to order and organize the data by zipcode as opposed to ordering a larger area, the route would be different no?

That's why I said I would order the geographic list. All of the lists I have ever purchased have been by zip code. Nothing else makes sense.

Unless one is working a retirement community lots seniors are not going to live next to each other. It could be a long walk between doors.

Think of it like this bus, a route is a route is a route, it doesn't matter where it stops. If it makes 100 stops or 1 stop, it's still going to go the same route and it's the same way with the postal route.

I'm not a believer in the income filter to begin with, but even more so if you're door knocking and yet even more so if you're door knocking seniors. If you're door knocking seniors, you might as well knock everyone in the neighborhood.

Im wondering if they would group or walk it differently depending on sparcity of the above type of prospect within a given route area.

You can always check the addresses on the list to see if it makes sense, but assuming you're in an area with a reasonable density (maybe do seniors 65-75 to give you more folks to work with) it's probably easiest to work the carrier route and walk sequence.

Each zip code will typically have many carrier routes. State, county, city/zip, carrier route. When I have folks ordering door knocking lists we'll clump them together. I can also sort the count by carrier route so we know which areas are more dense for the demographics you're looking for.

Back