I’m sure this comes up a lot…

SecurelyInsuredSJ

So here it goes:
New agent here. Like brand new. Acquired Life, Health, Property and Casualty as well as Med Supp and LTC licenses over the past few months. Got swept up in a Symmetry webinar, liked the upline, quit regular 8-5 job (which I was going to do regardless because it was a really awful environment) to go full steam ahead and signed on.
Well, I hate it- I just do not have a desire to sell mortgage protection insurance, if I can’t feel a passion for it, I can’t make myself sell it. Never mind the fact that the leads are just bad. Really old, if they even answer they’re just so annoyed that you’re the umpteenth caller that week and they just want to be removed from the list. ASAP!
Anyway, after spending some time reflecting why I even considered selling insurance, if I’m honest with myself it’s because I want to protect people, specifically the senior market. They are just my people. I’ve seen my mom go through hell getting screwed over when signing up for Medicare and it really bothered me. I want to create a different experience for people and I really think I can do well at it. I don’t want to go captive for some call center, obeying rules about metrics and production quotas. If someone needs me to spend 3 hours with them discussing options and benefits then I want to do it. On my terms. I know that goes against all the laws of sales and time is money but I want to put the people first- that’s just me.
I need suggestions on FMOs, ones that will be there for support, offer the tech, the onboarding, training and contracting but I want the one that won’t push their ideals on me with how to go about business. I’m fine with generating my own leads, I want to obviously own my book of business and have an open release but it’s just really overwhelming looking at all that’s available. I’ve spent days, probably weeks at this point researching all of them and I’m lost. Maybe I’m seeking a unicorn but I’m just here humbly seeking suggestions.
Please, if you can suggest good FMOs to get involved with that don’t require a significant amount of money up front I’m all ears. I have some money set aside for initial costs, my bills are taken care of for the time being but I have some of my own plans for generating leads so if there’s not a requirement of the FMO for me to deposit money with them for their leads that would be a plus!
Thanks in advance
SJ

I’d look at Neishloss and Fleming , Justin Brock ( join the facebook group Medicare monsters(12k people on). All these your not captive . That said i must caution you on a development that will be known in 2 weeks . If the first draft is in the final draft out from cms in 2 weeks it means fmo’s will no longer get overrides on agents . It means no marketing money for agents . It means basically fmo’s will no longer train or contract independent agents if they can’t make an override. Also Medicare is a long term residual renewal business . It takes 2-3 yrs of hustling 50-70 hrs a week to get to were if you work this week or not you got mid 4 figs to 5 fig renewals . Best move i ever made 3 1/2 yrs ago. I know next week my 5 fig renewals hit my account wether I sold even 1 policy this month or not .

So here it goes:
New agent here. Like brand new. Acquired Life, Health, Property and Casualty as well as Med Supp and LTC licenses over the past few months. Got swept up in a Symmetry webinar, liked the upline, quit regular 8-5 job (which I was going to do regardless because it was a really awful environment) to go full steam ahead and signed on.
Well, I hate it- I just do not have a desire to sell mortgage protection insurance, if I can’t feel a passion for it, I can’t make myself sell it. Never mind the fact that the leads are just bad. Really old, if they even answer they’re just so annoyed that you’re the umpteenth caller that week and they just want to be removed from the list. ASAP!
Anyway, after spending some time reflecting why I even considered selling insurance, if I’m honest with myself it’s because I want to protect people, specifically the senior market. They are just my people. I’ve seen my mom go through hell getting screwed over when signing up for Medicare and it really bothered me. I want to create a different experience for people and I really think I can do well at it. I don’t want to go captive for some call center, obeying rules about metrics and production quotas. If someone needs me to spend 3 hours with them discussing options and benefits then I want to do it. On my terms. I know that goes against all the laws of sales and time is money but I want to put the people first- that’s just me.
I need suggestions on FMOs, ones that will be there for support, offer the tech, the onboarding, training and contracting but I want the one that won’t push their ideals on me with how to go about business. I’m fine with generating my own leads, I want to obviously own my book of business and have an open release but it’s just really overwhelming looking at all that’s available. I’ve spent days, probably weeks at this point researching all of them and I’m lost. Maybe I’m seeking a unicorn but I’m just here humbly seeking suggestions.
Please, if you can suggest good FMOs to get involved with that don’t require a significant amount of money up front I’m all ears. I have some money set aside for initial costs, my bills are taken care of for the time being but I have some of my own plans for generating leads so if there’s not a requirement of the FMO for me to deposit money with them for their leads that would be a plus!
Thanks in advance
SJ
Go with a local captive agency for a year, learn the business, then go Indy. You will have a much higher chance at surviving in the business with some proper training.

I’d look at Neishloss and Fleming , Justin Brock ( join the facebook group Medicare monsters(12k people on). All these your not captive . That said i must caution you on a development that will be known in 2 weeks . If the first draft is in the final draft out from cms in 2 weeks it means fmo’s will no longer get overrides on agents . It means no marketing money for agents . It means basically fmo’s will no longer train or contract independent agents if they can’t make an override. Also Medicare is a long term residual renewal business . It takes 2-3 yrs of hustling 50-70 hrs a week to get to were if you work this week or not you got mid 4 figs to 5 fig renewals . Best move i ever made 3 1/2 yrs ago. I know next week my 5 fig renewals hit my account wether I sold even 1 policy this month or not .
Excellent advice and very much appreciated- thank you. Especially because I was not aware about Medicare Monsters on FB- the ones I’ve joined are pretty much dominated by Ms. Medicare and Top Flight, both good organizations but may not be the direction I want to head in- thank you again for this suggestion.
And yes, I did hear wind of that which I think is why I’m trying to get established somewhere pretty quickly, but if that ends up taking effect what will become of independent agents? Directly appointing with carriers?

YOU need to set boundaries vs letting the prospect control your time.

And it would be extremely helpful if you learned how to use paragraphs
You and I will just have to agree to disagree with this in regards to how I utilize MY time.
And I’m actually well aware on HOW to use paragraphs, silly degree and all. I just CHOOSE not use them because I structure my posts in public forums as thoughts and not in AP style format- creative license ;)
SJ

Go with a local captive agency for a year, learn the business, then go Indy. You will have a much higher chance at surviving in the business with some proper training.
It’s definitely solid advice, and something I have definitely considered. The problems with it though are that where I live (rural mountain town in Western NC) unfortunately there are no captive agencies around here. And anything virtual won’t work because (also because of location) internet services out here are really limited. I interviewed with eHealth today and all was going right as rain until I had to divulge that I only currently have access to satellite internet. Works great but apparently a big no no when it comes to call center work. Which leaves my own options that much more limited. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

if I’m honest with myself it’s because I want to protect people, specifically the senior market.
Some of this advice is good and some is bull shit. You didn't specify if you were interested in medicare, fe or both.

Talk to @Todd King and @Newby. Both good FMO's. And both are on here.

Stay away from Book Face and Boob Tube.

And stay off of I-75. You might run over @somarco

Back