I'm going independent and I need some pointers.

What are your thoughts on NatGen? That seems to be the one that comes up a lot.

I assume you mean this one?
National General Health | Short Term Health Insurance

Looks like STM.

Short term medical insurance is health coverage designed to cover individuals for a pre-determined length of time.

THIS PLAN PROVIDES LIMITED BENEFITS.

STM PLANS DON’T COUNT AS COMPLIANT COVERAGE UNDER THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT, SO ENROLLING IN SHORT-TERM INSURANCE MAY MEAN YOU’LL PAY A PENALTY WHEN YOU FILE YOUR FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN. THEY ALSO DON’T OFFER MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE, WHICH MEANS THAT BENEFITS SUCH AS FREE PREVENTATIVE CARE AND PRE-EXISTING CONDITION COVERAGES ARE EXCLUDED.

FWIW I have never in my career sold a short term medical plan. Years ago a former client (U65) dropped her major medical plan without advising me first.

She called a few months afterward to ask my help in getting back on her old plan. (This was in the "old" days when you had to be healthy to buy insurance).

She dropped her old plan and enrolled in a STM because she was going to get married in a few months and would be going on his group insurance plan.

Shortly after dropping the major med coverage and starting her STM plan she was in a car accident. Thousands of dollars in bills and more to be coming soon . . . and her STM plan was about to end.

Nothing I could do. She would be turned down by any major med carrier and most STM. Even if the STM carrier accepted her there would be NO coverage for pre-ex.

I asked when her fiancées coverage would begin.

That's when she said he called off the wedding and there would be no group plan.

Then she started crying.

Back