Independent Agent and Business Name

rizzle

Guru
100+ Post Club
FL
being independent do most of you have a business name..
going to make up some cards and wondering about this.
i kind of would like to have a bus name but seeing what the norm is..
thx

being independent do most of you have a business name..
going to make up some cards and wondering about this.
i kind of would like to have a bus name but seeing what the norm is..
thx

No business name.
My card says:
Nathan Tinsley
Independent Insurance Broker

It probably depends. Are you planning on working on your own in the future as well?
Or might you gather a team at some point and thus make a business name usefull?
Also do you think a business name would provide you better oportunities?
Those are the kind of questions I would ask myself and then just decide.
Otherwise it won't be impossible to switch to a name later, as long as your customers will still recognize you.

No business name.
My card says:
Nathan Tinsley
Independent Insurance Broker

I have never used a business name either. I have never felt that having a business name would increase my business. I want people to know what I do and who I am. That's really all I feel that they want and need.

My card and letterhead say "Your Insurance Agent". My card says that in bold letters, under that is my name in smaller type and my contact information across the bottom.

I have never used a business name either. I have never felt that having a business name would increase my business. I want people to know what I do and who I am. That's really all I feel that they want and need.

My card and letterhead say "Your Insurance Agent". My card says that in bold letters, under that is my name in smaller type and my contact information across the bottom.

Frank and I spoke about this subject years ago. I decided he is correct so my card now says:

Your Insurance Agent
Frank Stastny

It gets confusing because my name isn't Frank Stastny but he insists this works fine for him so I wanted to have the same success.

I also have all my commission assigned to him at his request but not sure why he wanted me to do that.

Rick

I also have all my commission assigned to him at his request but not sure why he wanted me to do that.

Rick

Because I'm greedy and am only interested in screwing agents out of as much money as I can. :D

Can you think of a better reason someone would require agents to assign their commissions?

I might add, I would never, ever even ask an agent to assign their commissions. Also, there isn't anything anyone could promise me that would ever get me to assign my commissions. The agent will get ripped off if they do.

Last edited:
If you do not have a business name and use your own name is that a sole proprietor? And what about legal protection regarding your assets?

I am in the same situaton. I decided to go independent about 6 mos ago, after being diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't want to work Capticve anymore because I don'tn want the stress. As an Independent I work at my own pace. I am also thinking about registering a business name and having some cards made. The reason, I think it will look more professional. I would like to hear from those out there that have a business name.
Thanks,
grandmaagent

Back