Independent Agent and Business Name

i have a business name only because i want to protect my assets and separate business and personal.

unless we are only talking about DBA...

i have a business name only because i want to protect my assets and separate business and personal.

unless we are only talking about DBA...

I decided to get incorporated, get business checking account, etc. prior to seeking assignement with carriers. Just the way I decided to do it, to keep things seperate. Not sure if its the easy thing to do, there is a ton of paperwork, etc. I was not needing the income immediately so I am working myself back into the industry slowly. Not to mention I am a stay-at-home mother....whew, now thats a job for you. Insurance business may be more like a vacation :D

I am in the same situaton. I decided to go independent about 6 mos ago, after being diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't want to work Capticve anymore because I don'tn want the stress. As an Independent I work at my own pace. I am also thinking about registering a business name and having some cards made. The reason, I think it will look more professional. I would like to hear from those out there that have a business name.
Thanks,
grandmaagent

I do understand what you are saying about having a name. However, the name isn't going to make you "look" or be perceived as a professional. It's the way you conduct yourself that will determine if prospects see you as a professional.

I am in the same situaton. I decided to go independent about 6 mos ago, after being diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't want to work Capticve anymore because I don'tn want the stress. As an Independent I work at my own pace. I am also thinking about registering a business name and having some cards made. The reason, I think it will look more professional. I would like to hear from those out there that have a business name.
Thanks,
grandmaagent

I think you should ask the DOI if you can use the business name "Grandama Agent Insurance Services." Especially if you are working the senior market.

Rick

It used to annoy me when the newby posters would resurrect an old thread.

Then you see Frank Stastny on the thread with his wise words and realize how much this forum needs more of what he represented. Honest, genuine advice from an everyday agent, and the occasional shot at RICK........I miss his wisdom..

:)

Last edited:
Regarding the use of your own name or a business name, I think that a business name may make you look "larger" but less personal. Using your own name may reassure some folks who want to know who they're dealing with.

I think that the issue of asset protection through a business entity is a valid one that should not be overlooked.

Also, regarding the license number on the business card, it's either mandatory or highly recommended.

It used to annoy me when the newby posters would resurrect an old thread.

:)
Then avoid the "Getting started selling insurance " threads. :1rolleyes:

----------

Regarding the use of your own name or a business name, I think that a business name may make you look "larger" but less personal. Using your own name may reassure some folks who want to know who they're dealing with.

I think that the issue of asset protection through a business entity is a valid one that should not be overlooked.

Also, regarding the license number on the business card, it's either mandatory or highly recommended.
Mandatory, really? Wish my FMO would have mentioned that.

Back