Independent Agent Business Card

Well, I think he needs to worry more about what clothes to wear. ;)

Seriously, though, I have a handful of go-to carriers, and one primary carrier. My clientele (Final Expense) seem to like it better if they feel that there's a larger organization behind me. I have cards for each of these companies. Just starting out I would get cards for my primary. (You can still use that card if you sell another company's product. If the client notices, or you're concerned that they might, just explain that your main company is not the best for them in their particular situation, & that you have a relationship with another company that would be a better fit.)

If the company has a local office, use that address. If not, I'm not at all in favor of using your home address, for the security reasons previously mentioned. If you don't have a primary company, I recommend a dba. Trust is our first barrier, and some people have trouble trusting a "lone wolf". Having a company name of some kind helps overcome the negative impression. (Quick caution: some states, like Texas, have restrictions on names an insurance agent can use. You may also be required to file for a "fictitious name" permit.)

I also, wouldn't inflate my role. Some new agents like to put things like "President" or "Owner", etc. But instead of creating credibility, that sometimes destroys it. Especially if you drive up in a 12 year old Ford Econobox! (Besides, independent agents aren't true company owners. We operate under contracts to companies. Therefore I only use "Agent" or "General Agent".)

Last edited:
The main reason is they are spambots or idiots except for Chumps. :yes:

Chumps is not a spambot? :skeptical:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If the company has a local office, use that address. If not, I'm not at all in favor of using your home address, for the security reasons previously mentioned.

I also, wouldn't inflate my role. Some new agents like to put things like "President" or "Owner", etc. But instead of creating credibility, that sometimes destroys it. Especially if you drive up in a 12 year old Ford Econobox! (Besides, independent agents aren't true company owners. We operate under contracts to companies. Therefore I only use "Agent" or "General Agent".)

I use a Post Office Box.. Doesn't cost but a few bucks per year.. Looks more professional and also doesn't make my home address known.

I agree with not inflating the title. Used to know an agent that had President, COO, CFO on his card. Thought it made him look like a pompous rear end.

Many companies work under contract with other companies. An IA is indeed the company owner.

Last edited:
For those of you concerned about revealing your home address remember that policies have it listed in the policy package, unless you leave that page out. Well, at least ones I have in Florida do.

However, fear not. Most people never read them.

I think every professional should have a professional image and for some people that means an office, a card, a small 4" x 6" postcard, a brochure will help convey that image.

Do you need it, no. Will it help, in my opinon it will.

We all have a different customers we go after. I do P&C, A&H, Life so making a presentation to a family about a life insurance plan goes better in my office where I control the setting, no interuption / distractions. P&C customers don't care where you are but they may need to pay a bill some place in case they don't use bank drafts or running late with a payment. Do you want to pick that payment up by the side of the road somewhere or you want your customer coming to your front door.

A professional image to me earns more customers but to each his own. Cyber business aside some people only want to come to your office.

Last edited:
rousemark said:
Chumps is not a spambot? :skeptical:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I use a Post Office Box.. Doesn't cost but a few bucks per year.. Looks more professional and also doesn't make my home address known.

I agree with not inflating the title. Used to know an agent that had President, COO, CFO on his card. Thought it made him look like a pompous rear end.

Many companies work under contract with other companies. An IA is indeed the company owner.

I think you're right that an independent agent is a company owner in the sense that he owns & operates a business, maybe in the same way a manufacturer's rep operates. But "company" has a different connotation for many of our clients. I think they'd be fine if the President of the roofing company came by to sell them a new roof. But they may be skeptical about the President of the Insurance Company coming to their house to personally write up their policy. Sticking to words like "agent" & "agency" communicate our actual role more accurately, IMO.

If you want you can have different cards with different titles. One card could say agent while another could say Agency Manager, etc.

Back