Insurance Department Investigation - Origin of a Lead?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello All,

The problem is, the insurance department wants to know the "origin" of the quote...where we initially got the information??????

Last edited:
It is illegal to quote somebody who didn't request a quote? Property information is public record. If I wanted I could pull up a random property do a home owners quote and mail it to the address.

Glad I'm not in your state....This is what the DOI's investitgators spend thier limited amount of time persuing? Where did you get the lead from? Really how was this person harmed?

When we quote we run reports (loss history, insurance score, etc..) and one of our carriers slotted him into their non standard line, which generated a letter saying "you've been quoted in our non preferred company because of your insurance history.."

The reason was because his current insurance didn't populate...which isn't entirely unusual.

How was he harmed? I have no idea? We don't see a credit score or anything, so i have NO CLUE? And the investigator is coming off like we're criminals who are guilty until proven innocent?

I "think" the lead came from a referral via security system installer, realtor or mortgage broker. The reason is because he lives 1 hour away from our agency, so we aren't really "marketing" out that direction, but we'll quote business if it's referred.

I was 100% honest with the DOI investigator and said exactly this...that we have such a tremendous quote volume and that we don't have "files" on the origin of every prospect, but of course we don't just randomly quote people from the phone book either?

I know that sometimes (even myself) I've input my own personal information on some of the lead generation sites we use just to see how many agents they really farm too, the turn around time...etc....and being that this guy works as a territory manager for a personal lines carrier whose our competitor...it's obvious he's trying to give us a black eye.

your quote system doesnt show who the quote was made by? How do you track how many quotes/policies your producers write?

I track EVERYTHING

Go back and enter him into insureme.com. LMAO!

Ask that investigator to point to you where the law states that you're supposed to log the information of every person you've quoted.

Ask that investigator to point to you where the law states that you're supposed to log the information of every person you've quoted.

This ^ and comment that the guy works for another company and it will probaly go away

I don't think you did anything wrong here...I would simply tell the DOI that the source could have been a referral, or an internet driven lead...Then list every realtor, mortgage broker, and internet lead provider you work with. If they really want to find the source they can do the dirty work

I don't think you did anything wrong here...I would simply tell the DOI that the source could have been a referral, or an internet driven lead...Then list every realtor, mortgage broker, and internet lead provider you work with. If they really want to find the source they can do the dirty work
Tell them to go piss up a rope....your info is protected by privacy laws.... Went down this road during my last election... The comments I just gave you shut them down

Back