Insurance Department Investigation - Origin of a Lead?

DHK said:
I suppose I'm glad that my state is prosecuting bogus senior grand theft charges against legitimate product recommendations.

That was my point, you are telling me this is the most serious thing they could be investigating at this time.....I wanna bet there is some producer in this guys state actually stealing premiums from clients and this is what the DOI is focusing on?

If they get a complaint, it has to be answered to the best of your ability. The fact that you've gone seven years without a complaint, with the amount of quoting that you're doing, is actually quite good.

Did he come to you first before going to the DOI? Usually people like that are just trying to get $$.

Last edited:
If they get a complaint, it has to be answered to the best of your ability. The fact that you've gone seven years without a complaint, with the amount of quoting that you're doing, is actually quite good. He must be on the DNC, else the DOI would have thrown the complaint in the trash.

Did he come to you first before going to the DOI? Usually people like that are just trying to get $$.

You are 100% about answering the complaint to the best of your ability. I worked with a guy a few years back, and he received a complaint by one of his life insurance applicants. The complaint: because he was declined by the life insurance company, due to having heart disease (this individual didn't disclose it on application)

The producer was furious that the DOI actually filed this as a complaint, and he had to fill out the paper work, and disclose it to the parent company...DOI's are completely out of touch with the industry

Unreal...The DOI has this type of power over our ability to earn a living? Could take away a license in the blink of an eye over something so stupid. Insane.

I left a note and business card on the door of a lady who had sent back a direct mail piece, and the DOI here is trying to charge me with unfair marketing practices because of my method of solicitation, even though she had requested the info. Up to a $7000 fine. It seems like someone is strapped for cash.

I think people are missing a point. If the DOI receives a complaint it HAS to be forwarded to you. At least, that's the way it is in MD.

Because the DOI sent the complaint doesn't mean they care about it. To me, this is much ado about nothing. Send in your response and IMHO, you'll never hear from them again.

Though still new in the insurance industry I did have a run in with the Real Estate Commission back when I was selling houses. Anyway, I don't know how much correlation there could be, if any, but from my experience just cooperating as much as you can is usually sufficient. Here it seemed like they were more irritated having to investigate something minor than anything. I'm sure something bigger and more "important" would be more exciting to them so when this type of small thing comes across their desk they just want to get it off as quickly as possible.

That is, unless, you get someone trying to make a name for themselves or someone who is power hungry....

I think people are missing a point. If the DOI receives a complaint it HAS to be forwarded to you. At least, that's the way it is in MD.

Because the DOI sent the complaint doesn't mean they care about it. To me, this is much ado about nothing. Send in your response and IMHO, you'll never hear from them again.

I understand they have to forward the complaint, but they should be able to filter the real complaints, versus the rest of the garbage...Somebody getting turned down for life insurance, should not be a valid complaint. The DOI should be able to tell the consumer that this isn't a valid reason to file a complaint.

There must be a new surge in people complaining about agents.

I reviewed my post and realized that the part about the dnc didn't make any sense, in this case, but thinking about another agent's doi complaint involving cold calling that was brought to my attention at the same time.

This may be a little off topic, but if the health care reform goes through, there will be a significant reduction in calls to the DOI regarding coverage. From what I've read they will have no authority over the Federally mandated programs.

Latest posts

Back