Insurance for dog care and training business

Am I correct in thinking that nearly every company except State Farm has exclusions on your homeowners to not cover you if you own a Pit Bull? If that is true, is it possible to get insurance to board and train dogs anywhere except State Farm if some of the dogs are Pit Bulls?

Am I correct in thinking that nearly every company except State Farm has exclusions on your homeowners to not cover you if you own a Pit Bull?
I am not sure that that is true. [ And I believe you mean this on a Personal Lines of Coverage form.]

On the commercial lines form, I could not tell you - perhaps @Markthebroker has a pitbull insurance plan that he uses for dog trainers?

Am I correct in thinking that nearly every company except State Farm has exclusions on your homeowners to not cover you if you own a Pit Bull?

No, not true.

The standard HO policies have no such exclusion. The exclusion would have to be added to the policy by endorsement, hopefully with the written consent of the insured who is likely to be unaware if not brought to his attention, so that the agent avoids a potential E&O claim for letting it slip by.

I've been with several different insurance companies that don't even address the issue on their proprietary applications. Others do but write the policy anyway. Those that don't make it a case by case underwriting issue.

The ACORD homeowners application has the following question:

"Are there any animals or exotic pets kept on premises? (Note breed and bite history.)"

https://omega4agents.com/wp-content/uploads/Acord-80-Homeowners-Application-Fillable.pdf

Quite possible that an affirmative answer with a problematic breed (Pitbull, Rotweiler, etc() could result in a declination or exclusion.

is it possible to get insurance to board and train dogs anywhere except State Farm if some of the dogs are Pit Bulls?

That would be commercial lines, not personal lines so, yes, it's possible to get that kind of liability coverage if one is willing to pay for it, likely throgh the excess and surplus lines market or, as I mentioned earlier, through an association that has a large number of members spreading the risk.

Back