Interpreting Choosing a Medigap Policy for SSDI prior to 65

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Because, the person with SSDI got a MedSupp for the 1st time at age 65, but of course was on an MAPD for several years before T65.
My understanding is that the record is wiped when they turn 65.
Therefore, agreed that they could try an MAPD and have the trial rights for leaving a Medicare Supplement, and go back from the MAPD to the supplement within the 1st 12 months.
OR does that fact of having MAPD pre-T65 take away the option.
Current client question.

I have rolled a number of folks @65 to Medigap. Never had a problem. FYC.

No clue about putting them on MAPD (same or letting existing rollover). Everyone I have talked to in this situation could not wait to get off the MAPD.

When you turn 65, you essentially lose your entitlement to Medicare based on disability and become entitled based on age. In short, you get another chance to enroll, a second Initial Enrollment Period if you will.

If you decided not to take Part B when you were eligible for disability under 65, when you do turn 65, you’ll now be automatically enrolled in Part B. Your Medicare card will then be mailed to you about 3 months before your 65th birthday.

You can also decide during this time to enroll in a Medicare Advantage or Part D prescription drug plan. Additionally, once you have Part B, you can enroll in a Medigap plan if you so wish.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Medicare eligibility and enrollment for those with a disability

Back