Introduction - Young Captive, 7 Months in

Thecolonel, I appreciate the advice. Will really do some thinking on that end.

Last edited:
Some ideas:

Join a networking group
Get involved with the local chamber of commerce
If you are writing commercial with a captive, they are most likely good at 3-10 classes of business. Most captives, to my knowledge, have a limit appetite for commercial (they like low risk BOP's). Go after every deli, salon, restaurant you see.

Some ideas:

Join a networking group
Get involved with the local chamber of commerce
If you are writing commercial with a captive, they are most likely good at 3-10 classes of business. Most captives, to my knowledge, have a limit appetite for commercial (they like low risk BOP's). Go after every deli, salon, restaurant you see.

Thanks for the input. I actually completed the local chamber's leadership program this past winter. Any advice on how to approach the various events they have? Do you go to them looking to try and get business or more to just introduce yourself and hang out?

As for the commercial, you're spot on. The only issue is I know nothing about commercial, but as I prospect and bring in things to quote I'm learning.

Thanks again.

I go to the monthly mixers that the chamber puts on. I try to make a personal connection with people and then we'll exchange cards. I might not sell anything, but who knows if they will eventually become a client or refer someone to me.

As far as the education goes, my advice is:
Ask someone to go over the BOP form with you. Look up sample claims online, most common are water damage, theft, slip and fall, and fire.

For each class (ie restaurant, or garage) there are specific coverages that are very important. A garage policy needs to cover garage keepers liability, a restaurant may need to have spoilage coverage for the food, a salon may need professional liability.

My advice is to hit one class of business hard until you feel confident, write a few policies, and learn to speak the language of your clients business. It can be overwhelming but after a while it starts to click.

Find a mentor- ask around and see if another agent in the area can look out for you. The best learning comes from real world experience. Ask your mentor lots of questions. Take your time. Be thorough the first time with the client so you don't have to call them 2/3/4 more times for more info.

Also, get the apps and supplemental apps together.

Commercial hot buttons are: payroll, sales, building updates, claims history, etc etc etc. go kick some butt!

Go to 20 or 30 salons a day!

EDIT: Also FYI I am a new commercial producer, 9 months in with no prior insurance experience. If you are persistent you will write business. I think I wrote 3 policies my first month, it just takes time to build up. Act like you're a pro!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back