Is a physical office helpful?

Who here feels an office is beneficial for their businesses success?

I believe that it is helpful.

Required? No. Absolutely necessary? No.

Helpful? Yes.

10 minutes ago I was texting a lead - they live 40 minutes from my office. They're evaluating Med Supp + Part D vs MAPD. Husband turns 65 in July, wife in September....

I'll be able to go over both med supp and mapd, along with pros and cons, via phone or in person. But I'll admit - it's always a little easier (for me and them) in person.

The office helps. It's efficient. I have a big table and a 40-inch client-facing TV that I tell my Mac to "airplay" to -- I can bring up the Summary of Benefits for the plan they are interested in and pretty quickly go over it - show them some of the pitfalls, etc.

Could I also e-mail it to them? Sure I could. They probably have a computer. If not, they'll have a smartphone. But that's fun... "Ok, John, you and Linda huddle around your tiny iPhone and I'll talk and we'll go over the Summary of Benefits. Yes, you can open it on your iPhone - yes, you can barely see, sorry... but since you don't have a tablet or computer, you need to view it on your iPhone...."

So, for me, and for them, it might be easier if they come in. They'll be here on Friday at 10:30. It'll be a quick, efficient meeting -- and (my opinion) a better meeting than a virtual meeting - and I sell plenty virtually.

My opinion
  • Med Supp is a piece of cake to sell via phone - it's just that simple.
  • MAPD - not as easy. They really do need to see the summary of benefits, which is a 13+ page document. Not impossible to do virtually (especially if they have a bonafide computer), but easier to do in-person due to the volume of data.
If you don't sell MAPD, you probably really don't ever need to meet with anyone.

Over the past year, I've been working from home, but have had a few people ask to "come in" to see me. I feel unprofessional when I say I work from home and only do home appointments. I've also had a few who didn't want to do home appointments for whatever reason.

While I know our jobs can be done virtually, does anyone see a benefit in having an office space outside their home? I'm debating on if the cost is worth it or not.

It'll also depend on your area. My office is 10 minutes from my house - I used to rent 1 room for $375 now I rent a double room for $875 -- the intention is to get a full-time admin in here before AEP.

If your office rent rates are a ton higher, it may be hard to justify. To me, having the ability to tell people, "can you come in on Friday at 9:30 to go over the plans?" is worth it for me. Also, the ability to bring on help - an admin - will further help me build the book.

Last edited:
I believe that it is helpful.

Required? No. Absolutely necessary? No.

Helpful? Yes.

10 minutes ago I was texting a lead - they live 40 minutes from my office. They're evaluating Med Supp + Part D vs MAPD. Husband turns 65 in July, wife in September....

I'll be able to go over both med supp and mapd, along with pros and cons, via phone or in person. But I'll admit - it's always a little easier (for me and them) in person.

The office helps. It's efficient. I have a big table and a 40-inch client-facing TV that I tell my Mac to "airplay" to -- I can bring up the Summary of Benefits for the plan they are interested in and pretty quickly go over it - show them some of the pitfalls, etc.

Could I also e-mail it to them? Sure I could. They probably have a computer. If not, they'll have a smartphone. But that's fun... "Ok, John, you and Linda huddle around your tiny iPhone and I'll talk and we'll go over the Summary of Benefits. Yes, you can open it on your iPhone - yes, you can barely see, sorry... but since you don't have a tablet or computer, you need to view it on your iPhone...."

So, for me, and for them, it might be easier if they come in. They'll be here on Friday at 10:30. It'll be a quick, efficient meeting -- and (my opinion) a better meeting than a virtual meeting - and I sell plenty virtually.

My opinion
  • Med Supp is a piece of cake to sell via phone - it's just that simple.
  • MAPD - not as easy. They really do need to see the summary of benefits, which is a 13+ page document. Not impossible to do virtually (especially if they have a bonafide computer), but easier to do in-person due to the volume of data.
If you don't sell MAPD, you probably really don't ever need to meet with anyone.

It'll also depend on your area. My office is 10 minutes from my house - I used to rent 1 room for $375 now I rent a double room for $875 -- the intention is to get a full-time admin in here before AEP.

If your office rent rates are a ton higher, it may be hard to justify. To me, having the ability to tell people, "can you come in on Friday at 9:30 to go over the plans?" is worth it for me. Also, the ability to bring on help - an admin - will further help me build the book.

Honestly, I have only done 4 face to face in 14 years 3 of them were med supp and PDP

1 was MAPD but only to get sigs, it was already sold she just didn't have a computer and needed a next day effective

MA is not hard over the phone at all , Meaning for the initial call, Once contact is made its not an issue though

Now recently over the last 2 years, there have been issues getting people to pick up the phone this may be a reason or not

But the selling In-person is not necessary, For med Supp MAPD or PDP

I was in my home the first 8 years but didn't have a large book of business. The last 12 I have had an office with a large conference room which makes AEP so much easier. I can run a lot more appts. then I used to when I would drive between each one. Not to mention being able to return phone calls between appointments or fax applications. I used to get home after a full day with 8 applications to get to the right carriers. Of course now most are done electronically on their website or enrollment platform. I do have people drive up to 2 hrs. for an appointment which makes it really nice and saves a ton of time. People are bored in retirement and love being able to get out and go to the bigger city and shop, etc. I do all mine face to face so is definitely worth it to have an office in my opinion. I do 90% MAPD or Cost Plan so much easier to explain in person.

The problem with the office is even if your working local in Medicare your probably working a 75 mile radius . I can’t see many people driving 50 plus miles each way for a medicare appt P&C offices usually work a tight 15-25 mile radius so people will come in . That said I do see many Medicare offices in small towns .

Don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know anything about anything other than driving to people's homes all the time.

1) It does depend on your location. When I lived in TC, people from the more rural surrounding areas used to ask me to set up appointments at my office all the time (mostly 40+ miles away.) Rural communities surrounding larger cities are used to having to drive into town for services.

2) I did all my work from home, so I didn't require people to drive that 40+ miles. I'd do everything over the phone and internet. I've only had 3 people that requested an in person appointment, which I referred out.

I, personally, wouldn't add the expense of an in-person office unless you have multiple agents or if you have a marketing plan for walk-in business.

I keep trying to tell my dad to move up to MI because I think he'd love it up here. His second biggest objection is he'd have to do something, even if retired. I told him we'd buy the 130k ex-bank building up here and share an office so we could work together. That's literally the only reason I'd get a storefront.

Last edited:
Don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know anything about anything other than driving to people's homes all the time.

1) It does depend on your location. When I lived in TC, people from the more rural surrounding areas used to ask me to set up appointments at my office all the time (mostly 40+ miles away.) Rural communities surrounding larger cities are used to having to drive into town for services.

2) I did all my work from home, so I didn't require people to drive that 40+ miles. I'd do everything over the phone and internet. I've only had 3 people that requested an in person appointment, which I referred out.

I, personally, wouldn't add the expense of an in-person office unless you have multiple agents or if you have a marketing plan for walk-in business.

I keep trying to tell my dad to move up to MI because I think he'd love it up here. His second biggest objection is he'd have to do something, even if retired. I told him we'd buy the 130k ex-bank building up here and share an office so we could work together. That's literally the only reason I'd get a storefront.

Don’t listen to this guy ??? Lol . How many you sell today Travis ? I sold 6 mapd and 2 life . 3 were true up’s . I sell more in 1 day than you do in a month . I’ll sell 500 plus in 2022 . Show me how the hell I can get 500 people within 20 miles to drive to my office and I’ll rent 1 tommorrow. When you sell at least 200 plans then give me advice .To do massive vol you have to work large areas .

I used to rent 1 room for $375 now I rent a double room for $875 -

Nice... is your wife suspicious?

100012.11914.ithaca.la-tourelle-resort-and-spa.room.double-king-valley-view-pCBqjIRq-29762-853x480.jpeg

Hell no! That would require shaving, showering and replacing my pajama work clothes

pajama tux.jpeg

With COVID restrictions basically over and people more willing to meet in person, who here feels an office is beneficial for their businesses success?

Over the past year, I've been working from home, but have had a few people ask to "come in" to see me. I feel unprofessional when I say I work from home and only do home appointments. I've also had a few who didn't want to do home appointments for whatever reason.

While I know our jobs can be done virtually, does anyone see a benefit in having an office space outside their home? I'm debating on if the cost is worth it or not.
Use the language of the day, "Like many people these days I work REMOTElY from my home. However, if you would rather meet somewhere other than your home, I would be glad to buy you a cup of coffee (lunch, dinner, etc.)" If that is not acceptable, find another prospect.

I had an office for years and can not tell the difference in the way the public receives me. I don't have a bunch of deadbeat agents hanging around my home.

Don’t listen to this guy ??? Lol . How many you sell today Travis ? I sold 6 mapd and 2 life . 3 were true up’s . I sell more in 1 day than you do in a month . I’ll sell 500 plus in 2022 . Show me how the hell I can get 500 people within 20 miles to drive to my office and I’ll rent 1 tommorrow. When you sell at least 200 plans then give me advice .To do massive vol you have to work large areas .

Here's the funniest part about your blah, blah, blah..

You're 40+ and working 10-12 hours a day because you're desperate for apps.

I'm 40 years old and FIRE, working part time as an insurance agent to fill my time.

Yet you think you're doing something by spending your limited time on Earth driving all over in exchange for a deflationary dollar.

Priorities bud.

Here's the funniest part about your blah, blah, blah..

You're 40+ and working 10-12 hours a day because you're desperate for apps.

I'm 40 years old and FIRE, working part time as an insurance agent to fill my time.

Yet you think you're doing something by spending your limited time on Earth driving all over in exchange for a deflationary dollar.

Priorities bud.

Absolutely incorrect . I have 7 figs in the bank. I don’t need to work . I do this because I love it . I help so many . I work 40 -50 hrs a week . Not more than most people. I’ve also built a great renewal base . In the next 2 years I expect to be 70% referrals .

Back