It's Easier to Do Nothing Objection

I am writing this thread because I noticed this objection is one of the most hard to talk about objections out there. This objection is hard to smoke out, because it's one that most will not admit.
A prospect will admit if they have no money, don't trust the product, etc, but many will not admit to this objection.

It is kinda like the invincible man argument. "This will never affect me, so I can put this off" line of thinking. One way to deal with this line of thinking is to highlight how it affects OTHER people, as illustrated in this neuromarketing article I have previously listed on this forum, How to Sell to Customers Who Think They Are Invulnerable | Neuromarketing.

So how does an insurance agent get past this objection? You could create value, but sometimes its not enough to overcome laziness or an inflated sense of invulnerability. Basically you have to light a fire under someone's ass to get them going. This can be perceived as being pushy or acting aggressive. Many agents will tell you that these people aren't worth it to combat, but in a situation where you have driven out to see someone, or dedicated a portion of your time to meet with someone that is not quite on board, how do you not attempt to "nudge" the prospect?

Sometimes prospects need a little nudging, definitely not up front on a cold call or door knock, but for those that allowed you to get a little further in the sales cycle.

How do you nudge a prospect who inside their mind is thinking, "it will be just easier to do nothing for the time being"? I think this could be a good conversation, and isn't really limited to any particular line of insurance.

First of all, if the prospect will not admit to an objection, you can't answer it because you have no way of knowing if that is the true objection. You are only assuming it is and you may be totally off the mark.

But, if your prospect really thinks it is easier to do nothing then it is going to be hard to get him off dead center. The only routes you have are to appeal to him on an emotional basis, family would be in dire straights, etc. or on a rational basis, true cost of delay, etc. Probably going to be walking out without a sale either way.

emptyeternity, Nothing in my closing bag was 100% perfect, likely the same for all of us. Somewhere, I always said or asked "May I tell you about the toughest phone call that any agent ever receives?"

"Well, I guess you're going to anyway."

"Thank you. Phone calls that ask if I can back date an app, because the horse got out of the barn a few days after I left without your app and signature. By law you have a cancellation period, I'd rather get the phone call that I am needed because I did my best for you today, I cannot back date apps nor will I. It is not fair to my clients. Spell your last name for me, please?"

You just have to go back to the need. Life insurance is always for the benefit of someone else. Just how much do they love them. Do they love them enough to protect them or do they want to screw them. ha

There are three aspects to life insurance to cause a purchase. Only one of the three need be there.

Greed. They like what a CV plan will do for them.

Debt. They owe somebody else and must have coverage.

Care. They must care about somebody else.

What I've been finding a lack of is the latter. There are simply a lot of people who don't care. It's not their problem, when they're gone, it's not their worry.

What I run into is the all or nothing prospect. "I want a million in coverage or I won't have any." Biggiest f ing liars on the planet. A million will cost too much "outrageous" so they walk away with no coverage at all. "sorry hon, I looked but the price was too much, and you know hon, if you can't have a million, I won't accept anything less for you. After all you're worth it."

As fewer people marry and divorce rate climbs we are running into fewer people who even think about insurance.

The biggest trend I am seeing that wasn't there 20 years ago is the number of people retiring with debt. They have to buy and often it is their first policy in their 60's.

Objections aren't always honest.

emptyeternity, Nothing in my closing bag was 100% perfect, likely the same for all of us. Somewhere, I always said or asked "May I tell you about the toughest phone call that any agent ever receives?"

"Well, I guess you're going to anyway."

"Thank you. Phone calls that ask if I can back date an app, because the horse got out of the barn a few days after I left without your app and signature. By law you have a cancellation period, I'd rather get the phone call that I am needed because I did my best for you today, I cannot back date apps nor will I. It is not fair to my clients. Spell your last name for me, please?"

Was watching Fox news this morning and they were interviewing a couple that had lost the restaurant they just opened to a tornado. They asked the man if he had insurance. He replied, "No, I had talked with my agent and he was supposed to come over at 3:00PM Friday to fill out the papers." Tornado hit them about 1:30PM.

"It's easier to do nothing" objection....treat it like any other objection....agree with the prospect...then march forward in your presentation as if you never even heard them state this objection and don't YOU bring up the prospect's objection anymore.

About 80% chance the next objection they give you...in about 5-10 min., will be a DIFFERENT objection...which is your proof that they have not told you their REAL objection YET.

If you hear the same objection 3-5 times, with no real mention of any other objections, then you know you are heariing the REAL objection. Now you know what you are working with and you should know how to respond accordingly.

So how does an insurance agent get past this objection? You could create value, but sometimes its not enough to overcome laziness or an inflated sense of invulnerability. Basically you have to light a fire under someone's ass to get them going. This can be perceived as being pushy or acting aggressive.

/quote]These prospects lead me to think of the man who trained me many years ago, who said, "When they need the truth, hit them right in the face with it." I made a great leap ahead as a salesman that day...The perception of value is logical not emotional. I need to evoke emotion on every call. The emotions that drive preneed/final ex are fear and shame.Either of these emotions will create a buying motive, usually love.Example: "Mr. Prospect, as your final arrangements stand now, if you died tonight, Mrs. Prospect would get a call tomorrow morning from a funeral director downtown saying, 'Mrs. Prospect, I'm very sorry for your loss. I need you to come in this morning and make arrangements for Mr. Prospect.'" Mr. Prospect, tomorrow morning at about ten o'clock, Mrs. Prospect will go to the funeral home. She will be, maybe for the first time in her life: alone, confused and exhausted. She will do all the paperwork. Then she will open her checkbook, and write a big check on the worst day of her life.But it doesn't have to be that way, Mr. Prospect. I need you to write me a check for thirty-five dollars.

Hope this helps, works for me. Your friendly funeral director...

I ask them questions like, "Wouldn't you agree that people pass away every day that were THINKING of getting life insurance?"... or "Wouldn't you sleep better at night knowing your family would be well protected if you never wake up?".

You have to hit them emotionally. You have to show them you care about them. Tell them a personal story of someone who procrastinated and left their dependents with nothing but a funeral debt.

They know all this stuff i.e. procrastination/thinking about it/ on the "to do" list....but getting them to act is another story. If you have established a good rapport, hit them as emotionally as you can. If they think you care more about them than any insurance agent ever has, your chances go way up.

Norwayguy and I took care of this objection several months ago. You take a cap gun along with you. When they say "I don't plan on dying anytime soon." you pull out the gun, point it at them and pull the trigger (maybe a few times for added dramatic effect).

Then as they look at you somewhat shocked you say "Bet you didn't plan on that happening either...but it just did."

Back