It's Easier to Do Nothing Objection

You think underwriting will accept that in a cover letter for a request to waive requirements? I've honestly tried way weaker excuses.

Dear Underwriter,

Enclosed is an app on I.M. Oser. The gentleman is over 70, has a weak heart. I have already administered a stress test for him. He wasn't going to buy as he said he wasn't planning on dying. Fortunately, I had my cap gun on me. I pulled it out and fired it off, and then told him, "I bet you weren't planning on that either." He got a little red and short of breath, but after a while settled down and we filled out the app. Therefore, I respectfully request you waive the treadmill EKG for him.

Oh, based on I.M. Oser's excellent health, and great family history, I request that you issue him preferred plus as applied.

Respectfully yours,
I.M. Nutcase

Dear Underwriter,

Enclosed is an app on I.M. Oser. The gentleman is over 70, has a weak heart. I have already administered a stress test for him. He wasn't going to buy as he said he wasn't planning on dying. Fortunately, I had my cap gun on me. I pulled it out and fired it off, and then told him, "I bet you weren't planning on that either." He got a little red and short of breath, but after a while settled down and we filled out the app. Therefore, I respectfully request you waive the treadmill EKG for him.

Oh, based on I.M. Oser's excellent health, and great family history, I request that you issue him preferred plus as applied.

Respectfully yours,
I.M. Nutcase

Works for me! ..But I am a "field underwriter"! :goofy:

Here's my take on the stupid objections. First, we have to be clear on why they are talking to us to begin with. This needs to be tied down in the begining, so that later when a stupid sidestep comes up, we can remind them that the reason they are talking to us was because...they Jim down at the office dropped dead last week, or they are worried about their kids, or whatever the reason was. There was something there, ego, love, fear, something that made them sit down with an agent. So just keep selling. Ignore it, sidestep it, ask if they still are worried about the kids, or whatever. At the end of the day, we are trying to make their lot better, and if they don't want to join, in the effort, you might not want them as a client anyway. At some point, before they through us out, it might make more sense to spend 20 minutes asking for referrals, than it would to keep beating a dead horse.

I once had a guy give me an objection that he was a self-made millionaire, and was going to keep making his own decisions. I agreed with him that he was indeed very smart and asked him if he knew anyone who wasn't as smart as he was. He laughed and immediately gave me the name of a friend of his. I asked if we could call his friend and he agreed to. He dialed his friend's number, introduced me and handed me the phone. In the end the guy wound up buying a little from me. I think it was hard for him not to, once he had made the referral. His friend, on the other hand, bought a lot, introduced me to the rest of the family, was a great client and bought on the first appointment. Sometimes it's better to quit fighting them and focus your energy on the next appointment. That's my nickel.

Back