Joining New York Life. Need Some Advice.

Lol no but having to post to get any help is annoying. This way I can ask for advice or help without having to go online.

"It's just that I kind of consider it the pinnacle"

Man, you're making it sound like NYL was the babe that got away.....

@original poster
NYL is like many other companies out there, VERY GOOD. Many companies fit that mold. Thank god everyday for that.The biggest lie Primeamerica tells is they are the only "good" company out there. That's a lie.

NYL while very good, also has it's fair share of bad apples who become parasites on the backs of agents. NYL also has salesmanagers and agents who break the law and cost the company millions in settlements.

When considering a career agency it is so important to look at that office you are joining. Sure you're joining NYL, but you're really joining a sales office, same as many others out there. IF you're good enough, you'll visit home office. The rest of the time, your version of NYL is that sales office and sales manager. If they're good people, consider yourself blessed. If they're jerks think hard about working there.

I spent a decade with NYL and think it's a great company. However, I had knew what I learned by going through the sales office I did before hand...never would have signed on with them.

There are a lot of great companies out there and good people. And, there are a lot of a ssholes out there working for good companies too. Be careful about over looking an a sshole sales manager just because the company's good. You will deal with that a ss 99% of your time. Keep that in mind.

Well, I think several organizations are up there on top. Several others- as well as NYL. Keep in mind I'm mainly a debit a guy, and like to sell smaller policies for what turns out to be usually rinky-dink outfits. I kind of like it that way, so NYL seems like a whole different world for me.

Has anyone worked in the Tamoa Fl office for NY Life??? I agree the mgr in charge may make or break a new agent

They must be recruiting heavily here, they just called me two or three weeks ago, then last week.

I told them the story of how two years ago, I applied there and they told me to hit the road. Since it's a third party recruiter/telemarketer, she probably did not have a canned response for this, so she kind of said, "What?"

Well, I told them how a recruiter had called me, 2 or three years ago, set me up on an interview, but I was licensed to sell at the time yet I was working a part time job as a delivery driver.

They told me they don't hire "truck drivers" and booted me.
Then NYL called the third party company and chewed them out , then the third party called me and asked what on earth I told them at NYL, and it was a mess.

So, this lady last week, she asked if I sold in the last year. I said yes, maybe one policy. She asked what I made last year, and I said maybe $20 on that one policy, debit style, and I don't think they kept it.

She says, "Twenty bucks?? We definitely don't hire people who made $20 last year!!" And she hung up.

I got an e-mail last week from a recuiter for NYL asking to set up a lunch appointment for me to meet the district manager in my area.

Thx everyone for the feedback on NYL. I'm just waiting on my backround paperwork to go through and working on my Target Market Business plan. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the 2012 Kickoff Meeting, which was very both positive as well as informative.I also was challenged to make 10 sales per mnth, at 100 premium , or 1500 minimum each mnth. So I intend in geting in front of my warm market asap and gather those referrals!!!!

Back