Landing Pages

Thanks!

Always appreciate your input.

You are welcome!

You will definitely increase your conversions if there is a better match between the description in the SERPs, the query and the landing page.

After my wife puts on a dress she looks in her closet for shoes and accessories that will go best with the dress and with each other. She doesn't look for her "best" shoes and accessories.

Having everything match as much as possible will increase conversions. However, it can be time consuming. You have to find a balance between the potential added income and the cost of creating and maintaining the extra pages.

My landing pages include a form. Unless you use a template of some sort, updating the form on 50 pages or even 10 pages can be time consuming.

Analytics shows me which pages are drawing attention but this is mostly by accident, not design. Apparently I am doing something on those pages to draw attention and even get top listing. Problem is, not enough traffic to those pages.

I learned very early in the natural search game that we can't predict or control which pages generate traffic. But we can monitor the traffic by page, forecast potential traffic by page, promote individual pages, and change page design to improve conversion.

For the pages generating traffic by accident, compare your current traffic to potential traffic using Adwords Keyword tool and the Webmaster Central keyword ranking tool to see click through percentages. The Webmaster Central tool also shows you how many impressions each of your pages gets every month. If the potential is there promote the pages that have been working, and combine with a strong call to action.

Last edited:
For PPC: Amazon.com: Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions (9780470174623): Tim Ash: Books Frankly speaking it sucks, but will make sense and still has a few very useful tips (if you can read between the lines).

For SEO: There is no such term. You have to create a keyword specific page or a set of pages and promote that page within the targeted keywords. Ideally, 1 keyword - 1 page. Imagine how much work you need to do in order to be top 1 or 2 on a dozen of highly competitive keywords. It may take you a life to do it and you need several hundreds of spare lifes for G/Y algo changes.

That's a 2008 publishing date. Got a suggestion on anything more current?
I took a quick look the 2 sites in your signature line and it looks like you are using WordPress. I also see a lot of content. My guess is you are getting a good amount of traffic from the search engines.

The trick is to convert that traffic into leads. You can do that with a little customization.

Look at what the big lead companies are doing on their main sites and you'll see what I mean.

lendingtree.com
insuranceleads.com owns 2Insure4less.com
netquote.com

They all do it because it works. While these are not true "landing pages" by definition, it is as close as you can get. I have been on the inside and seen first hand how this boosts conversion.

The first thing your visitors should see is your offer and call to action and it should be on the top of every page. A custom theme along with a strong offer can do the same thing for you. I guarantee it will lift conversion considerably.

Last edited:
Unless your site is very narrowly focused on a topic you should probably have multiple landing pages.

Ideally the person who types in "catastrophic health insurance" should see a different page than the person who types in "family insurance."

I haven't done this much with organic, but with PPC you can pass a query string and code the page so that the version it shows is consistent with the ad group.

To have multiple pages show up for organic, you have to create multiple pages with mostly unique content.

Even though I haven't done a lot of this with organic, I think it is a great idea, just one that I haven't gotten around to.

This is actually incorrect in 1 regard:

You can pass from google, and I imagine the other 2 search engines as well, the terms that were searched for on an organic search, then use php to generate a different page for certain terms.

I have no idea of the impact it would have on SEO of the page, or how the robots read it, but I do know for sure that the variable is passed by google and I did some time trying to think of ways to use that data, but I haven't specifically tried to implement it yet on my site.

I'm no expert, but in my opinion your visitor is looking for the information you have if they're on your landing page, so you need to guide them to fill out the form with minimal thinking involved. Strip out all links and navigation so the consumer doesn't get distracted so you can keep the visitor focused on the message you're giving. Ask for a limited amount of information - long forms deter some visitors. Be short and informative and dangle a carrot in front of them. Give them a reason to fill out your form.

as long as you targeting for a 1 keyword you don't need to worry to have multiply landing pages

I was considering using php and the referrer variables google sends to make my main multiline site show what the person was actually searching for on the main page, I seo highly state and local wise for a lot of things, and my thought was it would improve conversion slightlu. Pointless for single line landing pages though.

Back