Learning HOW to Sell

My question for the seasoned agents is how did you learn to sell? Was it sales classes combined with experience, someone taking you out and showing the ropes or what?

I know oftentimes new agents (myself included) get really caught up in learning our products. I also know that getting the appointment is only half of a battle. This brings me to sales skills.

How did you really learn the ropes to sales and learn them well?

Your line of business makes a difference for this question. If you are new it may be a good idea to move from learning your "productS, to learning a product. Your situation may not dictate that option.

My question for the seasoned agents is how did you learn to sell? Was it sales classes combined with experience, someone taking you out and showing the ropes or what?

I know oftentimes new agents (myself included) get really caught up in learning our products. I also know that getting the appointment is only half of a battle. This brings me to sales skills.

How did you really learn the ropes to sales and learn them well?

Are you a captured agent or indy? If captured, who with? Until we get those answers, I recommend reading and studying good books, CD's,etc., on selling. For example, "Zig Ziglar on Selling"(Ziglar), "Secrets of Closing the Sale"(Ziglar), "Mastering the Art of Selling"(Tom Hopkins), sales books by Brian Tracy, John F. Savage. and MDRT sales reference materials. I am talking about DAILY and serious studying and making it a part of you. The rest of the answer depends on what you're situation is. :)

Are you a captured agent or indy? If captured, who with? Until we get those answers, I recommend reading and studying good books, CD's,etc., on selling. For example, "Zig Ziglar on Selling"(Ziglar), "Secrets of Closing the Sale"(Ziglar), "Mastering the Art of Selling"(Tom Hopkins), sales books by Brian Tracy, John F. Savage. and MDRT sales reference materials. I am talking about DAILY and serious studying and making it a part of you. The rest of the answer depends on what you're situation is. :)

I'm starting out as a producer for the most part, working for an indy agent. I want to learn the ropes and eventually go indy with my own agency.

Thank you for the book and CD suggestions. I'm going to hit some used book stores over the weekend and see what I can find!

I'm starting out as a producer for the most part, working for an indy agent. I want to learn the ropes and eventually go indy with my own agency.

Thank you for the book and CD suggestions. I'm going to hit some used book stores over the weekend and see what I can find!

You're quite welcome. Amazon will have a good number of them, and a lot of the used ones. There are more, but those are good for starters if studied well. There are also a number of BS ones, try to look for the reputable authors. ;)

Good tips here... just don't get so engrossed in learning that you feel you have to learn more and postpone diving into the water and start working appointments.

Educate the client on there options, they will decide what they want told do, people can smell bs sales pitches from miles away, when I first started 10 years ago I thought their was some magic sales pitch, there isn't. Figure out their need, try and solve there problem with a product, and selling a brand name is going to make your career WAY easier! One less thing you have to try and "sell" if Its a household name they know.

Educate the client on there options, they will decide what they want told do, people can smell bs sales pitches from miles away, when I first started 10 years ago I thought their was some magic sales pitch, there isn't. Figure out their need, try and solve there problem with a product, and selling a brand name is going to make your career WAY easier! One less thing you have to try and "sell" if Its a household name they know.

I never "pitch" anything or anyone. I provide a consultation and a presentation. I'm referring to professional selling. He or she has to learn the basics, and yes, absolutely learn while you earn. In fact, professional sales (that is what we are and do) is an ongoing learning process. I still enjoy learning in this business after 35 years.

I would never recommend or approve of the high pressure, non-professional huckster type of selling. We are professionals whose job it is to find a prospect's problem, offer a solution, and IMPLEMENT it for them. Obviously, if the client has a problem our job is to help them with the solution. :1err:

If you are new it may be a good idea to move from learning your "productS, to learning a product.

Couldn't agree more. Becoming a trusted expert on a class of business goes a long way. Emphasis on trusted.

I managed a $40MM book of P&C business and when people asked about how I did it, I simply told them that I got really good at being authentic and earning people's trust. At the end of the day people don't buy a financial product. They buy trust in a fiduciary.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Im wondering the same thing. I have zero sales experience, and am currently a marketer for a farmers insurance agent but want to go indy eventually.

Back