• Total solution

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Self-manged

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Zero interest

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This sounds like I need to open me up a small call center, and start with myself a licensed agent then bring others on board...:biggrin:

I don't offer telemarketing services, but I have worked as a telemarketer directly for a company through a temp agency. I worked about 8 to 16 hours a week. My call volume was anywhere from 300 to 600 calls depending on the days and additional tasks assigned. The turnaround and lead generation was great b/c the insurance agent was responsible for providing me leads and marketing materials such as letters, magnets, and other promotional piece, so I didn't have to hunt for them. I'm not sure if your insurance agents were providing leads, but if they don't you could possible ask them to filter there own list provide you with all the material and you just make the calls. I was paid hourly at $15 an hour.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
With telemarketing I have found that sending out letters work better. You follow up in regards to the marketing piece that mailed out, and has already sparked somewhat of an interest in the person you are calling.

Last edited:
With telemarketing I have found that sending out letters work better. You follow up in regards to the marketing piece that mailed out, and has already sparked somewhat of an interest in the person you are calling.

That cost too much. I would rather just cold call them, if they are interested then we can talk.

Do it!
. .

I might do that.

Last edited:
$20 to $25 per lead for a non-wood producing FE TM...

I'd pay $35 per hour of power-dialer cold calling if I could get 1 to 2 non-wood leads per hour; but they'd have to have references and have to prove it within 25 hours of dialing or less.

$20 to $25 per lead for a non-wood producing FE TM...

I'd pay $35 per hour of power-dialer cold calling if I could get 1 to 2 non-wood leads per hour; but they'd have to have references and have to prove it within 25 hours of dialing or less.

What is a "wood lead"? I must have missed that day in class.

What is a "wood lead"? I must have missed that day in class.

He's just referring to a bad lead. The prospects are either broke or just wasting the telemarketers/agents' time with no real intention to buy the product. Sometimes a passive-aggressive prospect is handled by the telemarketer, for lack of a better term, and the lead is "ganked." Essentially, the telemarketer shoves the script down the prospects throat, so to speak, and aggressively rebuttals without giving much thought to the prospects level of interest, and ends the call quickly without verification. As soon as that prospect is called back the agent is either slammed right away, or the prospect politely refuses to set an appointment because, obviously, they had no interest to begin with. Most of these prospects will tell you that they just wanted to get the telemarketer off the phone.

Unfortunately, the majority of telemarketing companies refuse to qualify and verify leads properly with either live verification or a quality control department that listens to every lead. A good lead requires a level of training and quality management that most TM agencies aren't willing (or aren't able) to invest in, simply because of the ridiculously high employee turnover in telemarketing and the cost associated with low lead averages. They calculate their bottom-line in the short-term, instead of focusing on retaining business and producing quality work. This is why telemarketed leads have such a bad name, "dialing for dollars!" The more established (and much bigger) telemarketing firms (my own included) can afford to produce quality work. They have 175+ veteran telemarketers that consistently produce high quality leads at high lead averages. These firms can easily "take a hit" on the learning curve for new agents (some of which pull 3 or 4 leads in an entire day's work), without needing to "gank" leads to make a profit. A smaller firm without the veteran backbone would quickly go out of business if it wasn't for these "wood"/bad/ganked leads. You just can't run a TM agency on less than a 1 point lead average ( 1 lead per hour average across the floors).

Look for a TM agency that has QM dept that listens to EVERY lead before sending it to you. And ALWAYS request that the recordings be attached to your lead order. This will help you get to know the prospect a little better and help you determine whether the telemarketers are ganking leads. If you get a hint that the TM is too aggressive, let them know! A good TM agency will replace your leads or ensure that the proper controls are in place on your next order.

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you want a free e-book on hiring, training, and managing telemarketers.

Last edited:
By all means send me the ebook, [email protected].

How much experience do you have cold calling for final expense?
How much experience do you have actually dialing for any b2c insurance product? b2b?

If you can generate FE leads as easily as you referenced above shoot me an email and I'll get you in touch with some folks that can buy everything you can produce. Honestly, something seems fishy about your whole situation, but we all have a story.

Well Josh, I'll get you acquainted with my story. I'm just a 22 year old graduate student working on my CS/EE degree. I made a few calls once... maybe about 100 calls, no more. The monotony just wasn't for me (well, more like the torture). So, you can say I have no experience calling for final expense in either b2c or b2b. Actually, you can probably just say I have no experience... and end it there. Anyways, my dad is an electrical engineer, so naturally, I sort of followed his career path in computer science. My mother, on the other hand, is a retired superstar insurance agent. Needless to say, I grew up around the insurance topic.

In the early 80's, right out of college, my mom partnered up with a marketing firm (which she ultimately bought), called Aspire Marketing, and she turned it into a lead generation machine. She never had more than maybe 20 agents underwriting, so Aspire never really grew past 50 telemarketers. It wasn't until 1998, after she retired from the industry, that the company was rebranded and focused primarily as a lead generation company, with just 5 underwriters.

To answer your questions, from a company standpoint. We have been cold calling B2C Life Insurance for over 25 years. B2B Major Medical even longer. Same with Medicare Supplement. Final Expense, specifically as such, maybe 5 years if that. Dental, 15 years, Retirement 12 years, and various other random campaigns that were paying top dollar per lead. We have the same officers and floor managers we had 25 years ago. (Funny story: one of them told me the other day that she is working with the grandkids of her original employees! LOL!) Anyways, we have been downsizing a lot lately due to the uncertainty surrounding ObamaCare. (Major Medical is 30% of our business.) Personally, I'm doing my own thing in offering IT/Database/Telephony services. I built a call center solution that saved us at least 100 grand.

Anyways, I do appreciate your offer sincerely, but we can't even complete our current lead orders. We are the lead provider for several large brokerage firms, with their combined lead orders totaling over 20,000 leads per week. We fulfill maybe 70% in a good week. The business is there, we just don't have enough incentive to expand. Perhaps in the future if some of these brokerage firms drop their contracts, we may seek more business.

In the mean time, I'm happy to give away pointers and/or call center solutions (open source, so really affordable). All of this work gets me A's in my 5 and 6000 level courses, and you guys get affordable lead-gen technology.

Back