Liberty Mutual: Advice from CaptiveGuy and Nyc2phi

It may differ from office to office..

My job shadowing was basically just making calls on some BS leads they give you.. They want to see that your are comfortable on the phone since thats what you will be doing with 80% of your time here.

Those who have been through it, what should I be expecting on the 2nd interview? I know it is a job shadowing so the main idea is to get a feel for what it would be like to work in that specific office and what it is like to be an agent for Liberty. Do you just observe or do you actually do work (make calls)?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It may differ from office to office..

My job shadowing was basically just making calls on some BS leads they give you.. They want to see that your are comfortable on the phone since thats what you will be doing with 80% of your time here.

Thanks nyc2phi. That makes sense. It seems weird to be calling prospects/leads when you aren't technically an employee. But I guess as long as you don't get into to much detail it would be OK. From my understanding Liberty retains lists of people they get from drawings and other incentives. I'm sure someone who entered a drawing for a prize 3 years ago will be interested in an auto quote today. Ha
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was also surprised they do a background check so early in the interviewing process. I had my first interview and my background check should be complete by the middle of this week. I still have two interviews to go. I would think background checks would be pretty expensive if you did it for each canididate.

Last edited:
First of all, good choice starting with Liberty they have some of the best training in the p&c industry. You will be able to learn with 0 expenses.

What worked for me in order of policies/premium:

1. Networking - (groups, events, chamber, etc)
2. Referrals - ask every new client and this gets easier as your book grows. Offer $10 gift cards and send thank you cards per referral if legal in your area.
3. Internet Leads - buy filtered leads that work with LM's target of home owners, college educated, and multiple car.
4. Liberty call ins and internet leads which are rotated between reps.

For life insurance start by asking all of your home insurance clients or just include a quote after you send the home application. Younger couples or individuals may want to see a permanent policy as well.

Go out and stop in to real estate, mortgage, and financial planners' offices when you have any free time or set a day aside for it. Work backwards on your goal of $30k of premium and see how many policies you need to sell each week etc.

Good stuff... Saving for later although not a LM Agent!!

AJ, I think you can easily hit your goal of 60k first year and 70k second year. I am in my second year with LM and will be close to 80 this year; I close a total of a little ovef 6 policies per week, which is pretty good for a second year rep. I think I'll have around $350k in premium this year. So your goals are definitely attainable if you follow the steps that everyone else has already given you.
BNI and newfound relationships with mortgage brokers have been my most solid source of business, as well as a consistent GSP.
Good luck!

AJ, I think you can easily hit your goal of 60k first year and 70k second year. I am in my second year with LM and will be close to 80 this year; I close a total of a little ovef 6 policies per week, which is pretty good for a second year rep. I think I'll have around $350k in premium this year. So your goals are definitely attainable if you follow the steps that everyone else has already given you.
BNI and newfound relationships with mortgage brokers have been my most solid source of business, as well as a consistent GSP.
Good luck!

Sjoyce what state are you located in?

Good luck!

I am in WA state and I have had very similar results with LM.

Back