Make the Jump to Independent?

OTAFallday

Hi Y'all,

Currently I work for a large agency, think SQ, and as I have progressed through the company I have found myself thinking about making the jump.

I jumped into insurance beginning of 2019 and found immediate success, albeit on "warm transfers," and placed roughly 70K a month after I got my pipeline rolling.

I was given a promotion (Less money, more work) and built out the senior market department, which has been pretty successful.

Obviously, I am still pretty green in the business and don't know what I don't know, but these 65-70 hour weeks are tough.

If it pleases the court:

What is the potential income (After expenses) in the first year of a new independent agent that has had success in tele sales previously?

Not having inbound leads will no doubt decrease production. Is closing 5% of TS leads a decent benchmark?

What cash reserves should I put in place prior to making the jump?

Will I need a release from the agency?

Do all carriers pay 75% during the first year?

Is a 30% lapse reserve the right number?

Thank you your honors

I was on track to inforce 840K prior to getting promoted.

Easier than it sounds when you get 20 inbound calls a day and close at a decent clip.

DHK I 100% agree with you. Completely different sport.

If I believed I could get anywhere close to that production on my own 18 month into the business:
1. wouldn’t be asking questions here.
2. Would need to take another clozapine

I am a worst case scenario kind of guy who will have 3 months of leads and 6 months of living expenses saved up before I consider making this transition. I am hoping someone can answer the questions above because I’m not quick to jump into any new decision and trying to get guidance from the guys that have done it before.

On FE, with that type if production, you could probably get close to double that first year commission. Not to mention a corresponding increase in renewals. That would buy a lot of Leads. You need to be talking with some of the independent FMO/IMOs.

Back