Making Farmers Work?!?!

My first post on here, apologies in advance if I upset anyone.

If you have sold ONE policy in three months, Farmers is not the problem. I never give much credit to the "I can't sell because [insert company here] rates are horrible." I've been a Farmers agent for five years in March 2013. I have over 2600 policies currently and live in Texas. We all have a tough market, but we actually work and push. If you have ONE policy, then your idea of cold calling from 4-7 needs some re-thinking. How about cold calling and marketing from the minute you get in until well into the evening. There is no play time right now. Rates are nothing but an excuse. Leave if you want, but you will find another excuse at the next place.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My first post on here, apologies in advance if I upset anyone.

If you have sold ONE policy in three months, Farmers is not the problem. I never give much credit to the "I can't sell because [insert company here] rates are horrible." I've been a Farmers agent for five years in March 2013. I have over 2600 policies currently and live in Texas. We all have a tough market, but we actually work and push. If you have ONE policy, then your idea of cold calling from 4-7 needs some re-thinking. How about cold calling and marketing from the minute you get in until well into the evening. There is no play time right now. Rates are nothing but an excuse. Leave if you want, but you will find another excuse at the next place.

And yes, I started from scratch.

Last edited:
I am starting with Farmers after I saw your post , it is kinda relieved me.I got my licenses last week. I am looking for the comments and all I see nothing but negative. I think it is really depends on you not the company or the rates. Can you pleas give me some advice . I really want to be a career Agent within 4 months . I will do whatever it takes to reach 40 plus 4 policies . I know it requires hard work which I do not have any problem. Only problem I have , I am full time employed and have a limited time. I need some tips . Thank you fit your help.

Great first post. I say that sarcastically. So, you are a big shot agent with 2600 policies and the only advice you can give him is to 'push and work hard'? Push what?

Rather than criticize him, why don't you provide useful tips on how he can succeed.

Here is a tip.

Give the poor guy a good sales script he can use to deflect the conversation away from price to a value proposition.

Great first post. I say that sarcastically. So, you are a big shot agent with 2600 policies and the only advice you can give him is to 'push and work hard'? Push what?

Rather than criticize him, why don't you provide useful tips on how he can succeed.

Here is a tip.

Give the poor guy a good sales script he can use to deflect the conversation away from price to a value proposition.

I am a tiny agent by many standards. I never said I was a big shot agent. I do get tired of seeing people bash the company and place blame in places where it doesn't belong. Simple fact is, if the OP has sold ONE policy in three months then the problem is certainly not with the company. How about working before bashing the company! As to the script idea...I don't use scripts, I don't believe in them. I want my people to talk to the prospect/customer like they are people. I want every call to be different and for them to mix it up. Not many people can pound the phones and read off of a script every day and stay happy with a healthy attitude.

Volk, you can call me anytime and I will be happy to help. Look me up in he system. Agent ID is 19-56-12. Farmers is an amazing opportunity, but you will only get out of it what you put in. I will happily share what has worked and failed for me.

CA, here is a tip for you. Spend more time marketing and less time trying to throw rocks at people and maybe one day you will be a big shot agent. Of course, that would require you to work. (Not said sarcastically.)

I am a tiny agent by many standards. I never said I was a big shot agent. I do get tired of seeing people bash the company and place blame in places where it doesn't belong. Simple fact is, if the OP has sold ONE policy in three months then the problem is certainly not with the company. How about working before bashing the company! As to the script idea...I don't use scripts, I don't believe in them. I want my people to talk to the prospect/customer like they are people. I want every call to be different and for them to mix it up. Not many people can pound the phones and read off of a script every day and stay happy with a healthy attitude.

Volk, you can call me anytime and I will be happy to help. Look me up in he system. Agent ID is 19-56-12. Farmers is an amazing opportunity, but you will only get out of it what you put in. I will happily share what has worked and failed for me.

CA, here is a tip for you. Spend more time marketing and less time trying to throw rocks at people and maybe one day you will be a big shot agent. Of course, that would require you to work. (Not said sarcastically.)

So, you're picking a fight now? Have at it. At no point did I throw a rock at you. Your response to the original poster provided nothing useful. It was simply your method of telling the world what a great agent you are for having 2600 policies. You didn't give him one piece of advice that would be useful. That was the point of my response. That's a fact Jack.

From an income position, Farmers acts just like Obummer in the white house. Obummer thinks the problem with revenue is, 'the tax rates are too low'. His solution was to raise the tax rates through repeal of the Bush tax cuts. Farmers acts in the same manner. They want additional revenue. Their solution is to institute a change where they can raise rates twice a year instead of just once. Customers leave farmers because the rates continue to climb higher and higher.

I probably understand hard work and effort more than you do. I have seen a lot of fat pompous Farmers agents who think they are big shots. You must be one of them.

Farmers is not an amazing opportunity. Farmers management does not understand ethics and do not make decisions in an ethical manner. Many of their programs can be easily viewed as reverse discrimination.

The stories of broken dreams and huge debt are all very real. There is a reason there are several websites dedicated to how farmers insurance sucks. Every new agent should run a google search to see the real truth.

There is a reason why 9 out of 10 new agents fail. I don't necessarily blame the new agent. I place the blame on management.

I have facts that can back up my statements but will not put them in a public forum.

Well, I do not really like your posts. There is always someone to blame how you going to explain the successful agents?If you want to pick organizations. In my opinion every single organization is sucks ! I come from Hotel industry , I will show you what is sucks ? It is about being positive and working hard. So far I was successful at it. I want my flexibility and I can assure you Farmers will provide the quality life I want. I am sorr about your experience but please do not discourage other people.thank you .Jas789 thank you for your help and I will call you as soon as I got my agent ID.

Well, I do not really like your posts. There is always someone to blame how you going to explain the successful agents?If you want to pick organizations. In my opinion every single organization is sucks ! I come from Hotel industry , I will show you what is sucks ? It is about being positive and working hard. So far I was successful at it. I want my flexibility and I can assure you Farmers will provide the quality life I want. I am sorr about your experience but please do not discourage other people.thank you .Jas789 thank you for your help and I will call you as soon as I got my agent ID.

I rarely get into the, "use spellcheck and proofread" arguments, but you could learn a thing or two from proof reading. Insurance sales is supposed to be a professional endeavor and requires more than a basic education. It was hard to read your post with all the type-o's and grammatical errors.
I hope you don't go into a prospective client's home and speak like this or provide personalized literature to the public in this form?
I would hate to see you lose clients due to things such as this. I know I would ask you to leave and not look back.

...and this is not a personal attack, I don't know you. Just an observation based on your posting.

Jason

I rarely get into the, "use spellcheck and proofread" arguments, but you could learn a thing or two from proof reading. Insurance sales is supposed to be a professional endeavor and requires more than a basic education. It was hard to read your post with all the type-o's and grammatical errors.
I hope you don't go into a prospective client's home and speak like this or provide personalized literature to the public in this form?
I would hate to see you lose clients due to things such as this. I know I would ask you to leave and not look back.

...and this is not a personal attack, I don't know you. Just an observation based on your posting.

Jason
I bet I can sell more than 1 :) thank you for your advice !!!!!!

I worked as an agency owner with Farmers for several years. The rates were a constant rollercoaster ride. Back in 2009 we had 60% plus rate increases that i battled through. This year they started the same thing. I left and went indy. So far best thing i have ever done. Oh and not to mention Farmers is trying to screw me out of my contract value. Most agents in my area have left or are leaving. Farmers can kiss my behind.

R - U - N as fast as you can. Farmers use to be a great company, no more. No ethics, no pride, no common sense, lots of management level sucking off the premium, lots of subtle expectations unreasonable at best and a bunch of DM's that can't fart the word insurance. You have to be a D-Head to qualify for the job so ex-military love it, they think agents are their troops that they can order around. The company will lie, cheat, whatever it takes to fork you over. The longer you are there the harder it will be to break free, this comes from a 20 year veteran who's seen it go from a great company to a sham.

Back