Marketing T65 Med Supps VS 68- 73 Med Sups

All of my med supp business has been by referral only but it has not been a big part of my business. What is quicker to get clients turning 65 or the 68- 73 crowd. My concern for the older crowd is underwriting but on the other hand the turning 65 crowd bombarded with marketing and it would seems like it takes them forever to make a decision if you start marketing them 6 months out.

I do a lot of health and life now but if health flops like I think it will I would like a another recession proof product like health insurance was.

Just seeing what others who are successful take is. I have a extra $1500 a month I will use for my marketing budget.

so if your working t-65 face to face should you be selling Sups and MA

Frank Stastny would preach about working the 68 - 73 market and in his state, it made a lot of sense. MO has the anniversary rule (or maybe birthday rule) so an agent with a good system that can't make a sale today could come back and write the policy on a GI basis.

Underwriting is a big deterrent to the Medigap business but after someone has had cheap rates for a year or so they are ready to move in yr 3 - 5. Especially true if they bought a MOO plan with low entry rates then scalp them on renewal.

I can't tell you how many times I run into people who have had a plan for 3+ years and have been through multiple rate increases and would like to move but can't.

At one time I thought about getting a non-res license in MO but shifted focus to T65 here instead.

Why would Frank the fines calling from the do not call list?

I suppose it depends on how you find them.

All my prospects find me (because they are looking) or from referrals. No wedge involved.
That's a great place to be! Can't wait till I have marketing systems in place where people find me instead of me chasing them!

Most of my clients weren't looking initially. And most had an insurance agent that had either gone AWOL or had to be fired.

But it's tough way to build a book. I'm going to be completely bald by forty!

Last edited:
Frank stopped cold calling years ago but still pitched and taught his "system" of calling.

AFAIK he never advertised but he did have a very simple site that generated a lot of traffic. How much translated into prospects, I don't know.

Frank was good at keeping in contact with his existing client base by phone and mail. That generated a lot of his business.

As I recall, he had 800 or so Medigap clients. Might have been closer to 1,000.

It provided him a good income and the GI rules in MO means he wasn't reduced to service fees after the 6th or 7th year.

Did he call people that were on DNC?

Maybe so. There are agents today that are using all kinds of illegal methods of securing prospects. If that works for them, fine. Doesn't mean I have to do likewise.

----------

marketing systems in place where people find me instead of me chasing them!

You have to figure out a way for them to WANT to find you.

That's a great place to be! Can't wait till I have marketing systems in place where people find me instead of me chasing them!

Most of my clients weren't looking initially. And most had an insurance agent that had either gone AWOL or had to be fired.

But it's tough way to build a book. I'm going to be completely bald by forty!

Im trying to get there too....just started a FB page that I post on regularly & Im up to over 500 LIKES (150 or so was from Fiverr, so not targeted). Along with LinkedIn, Im hoping that it'll start to produce something by AEP.

Back