Marketing Tactics for "Millenials"

Really? At the ripe old age of what I presume is a year younger than you I have a different opinion. If I ask a sales professional about a product and they suggest another, I don't "walk". I also don't assume I know more than the sales professional until demonstrated otherwise. Recently I went to go buy a set of speakers. I know a few things about speakers which don't seem super complicated to begin with. I thought I knew what I wanted, but after listening to the sales professionals I was able to make a more well informed decision on my $3,000 investment. Ok, I'll never make any money off them so investment isn't really the right word, but on my $3,000 purchase I ended up making what I believe is a better choice because I didn't assume I was right with what I knew. I think with insurance matters it's even more important.

If you don't mind my asking, why would you walk the minute someone tries to sell you permanent coverage when you were looking for a quote for term?

One Word: Narcissism

From the point of a millenial consumer, I have tons of information at my fingertips. This has leveled the playing field between sales professionals and consumers. When I seek out quotes for term, I want term and the minute someone tries to sell me permanent, I walk. You assume I don't know what I want. Maybe I do? I'm also not the average consumer. People's guard goes up when dealing with sales professionals. No one can argue that. Most of us aren't clueless, though, and when I can contact dozens of agents in the matter of minutes, I can be picky.

Exactly. That's why I counter with "Okay, I want to make sure you're getting the right term. There is a lot of information out there and much of it is counterintuitive. What about term do you like? What are you planning on using it for?"

I get people our age talking, because they know that they need to do this "adult" stuff, even though they're hesitant to do it. I often say "You know, the actual conversation and process is a lot easier than thinking about it." That breaks a lot of ice and eases a lot of tension.

Us millennials have a lot of information, yes. We also still crave personalized service. Once someone reaches out and actually listens to our needs without judgement, we're usually on board.

Really? At the ripe old age of what I presume is a year younger than you I have a different opinion. If I ask a sales professional about a product and they suggest another, I don't "walk". I also don't assume I know more than the sales professional until demonstrated otherwise. Recently I went to go buy a set of speakers. I know a few things about speakers which don't seem super complicated to begin with. I thought I knew what I wanted, but after listening to the sales professionals I was able to make a more well informed decision on my $3,000 investment. Ok, I'll never make any money off them so investment isn't really the right word, but on my $3,000 purchase I ended up making what I believe is a better choice because I didn't assume I was right with what I knew. I think with insurance matters it's even more important.

If you don't mind my asking, why would you walk the minute someone tries to sell you permanent coverage when you were looking for a quote for term?

I'm not going to argue with a professional salesperson. As with any sales, there is a conflict of interest. I want the best product at the best rate, you want the most commission. And to say otherwise, you are lying. Just my opinion. Why have the middleman?

I'll probably get kicked off here for this, but for me, it would be awful to make a living trying to convince people you know better for them. And to be always be looking for the next client, essentially working 24/7, not my kind of life. Approaching perfectly fine strangers and telling them what they need? Just read these forums, from an outsiders perspective, and you can see why salesmen must work hard to earn respect.

I'm not going to argue with a professional salesperson. As with any sales, there is a conflict of interest. I want the best product at the best rate, you want the most commission. And to say otherwise, you are lying. Just my opinion. Why have the middleman?

I'll probably get kicked off here for this, but for me, it would be awful to make a living trying to convince people you know better for them. And to be always be looking for the next client, essentially working 24/7, not my kind of life. Approaching perfectly fine strangers and telling them what they need? Just read these forums, from an outsiders perspective, and you can see why salesmen must work hard to earn respect.

Most long-term salespeople understand that selling in the client's best interests gives them long term clients. The cost to get a new client is about six times that of retaining one, so "giving up" some commission to make a long term relationship is usually in the sales professional's best interest.

Back