Med Supp Newbies, Why You Should Cold Call

1. Good Luck

2. SEO, internet leads, direct mail, senior center seminars, pharmacy seminars, PPC, event sponsorship, hire 5 or 6 telemarketers to cold call for you... anything that will leverage your time to help you find interested prospects beyond a dialer and CC list.

I suppose I'm a touch confused. You say that cold calling doesn't work, but why would you hire telemarketers to do something that doesn't work?

I have some questions for you:

1) How many hrs a week do you personally spend cold calling agent lists looking for new customers?

Zero. It's the wrong marketing approach for the product.

[

2) If you could do it all over again, would you trade the hrs you personally spent on SEO for cold calling hrs?

I'm not sure I follow the question. If I was a Medicare agent I would think focusing on SEO would be much less useful than cold calling. My first venture into cold calling was working as a sales rep where I was salaried and was paid to do the network, seminars, etc. Cold calling was a much more immediate way to get controlled results. If I could roll back the clock and hit one or the other, I'd have blown cold calling out of the water when it was legal to call for MA products. I was late to the party on that and it probably cost me a fortune.

Last edited:
Cold calling sucks.
Its finding a needle in a haystack.

But

If you call a few hours a day to supplement other activity and leads it is worth the effort and time.

If you get someone on the phone, qualify them, and go sell a $50/month FE policy, you are grossing around $600.00
Do that 2 to 3 times a week, and you are doing ok.

I'm not sure I follow the question. If I was a Medicare agent I would think focusing on SEO would be much less useful than cold calling. My first venture into cold calling was working as a sales rep where I was salaried and was paid to do the network, seminars, etc. Cold calling was a much more immediate way to get controlled results. If I could roll back the clock and hit one or the other, I'd have blown cold calling out of the water when it was legal to call for MA products. I was late to the party on that and it probably cost me a fortune.

I agree, CCing helps an agent develop communication and sales skills that seo couldn't do.

Cold calling works.
I lost another telemarketer last week. So, I didn't want to sit around all week doing nothing. I cold called for Med Supps. Ended up writing 3 new Med Supps from the cold calling (plus a couple others from working my current book).
I agree there are better methods that are more cost-effective for an experienced agent. BUT, many agents starting out have a lot more time than money on their hands. With no money to prospect, it IS worthwhile for agents starting out to cold call for new business (in regards to Med Supps) because it still works.

I call BS. there is no way you wrote a whole years worth of med supps in one week! I think 3G is running off on you....

I call BS. there is no way you wrote a whole years worth of med supps in one week! I think 3G is running off on you....

Poor SAI....you only writing 5 med supps a year? :embarrassed:
Typical week for us real agents. ;)
Also, I changed the name to 4G before selling it back to them kids.
Lastly, it's 'rubbing off on you'. So, one would say something such as "senior-advisor-indiana enjoys rubbing..." (had to stop there due to Sam's new vulgarity rules). :swoon:

The OP touted that cold calling works. He's no longer in the business. That should tell you everything you need to know.[/QUOTE]

Crap, I guess I better call the church that I wrote Friday and the paint store that I wrote today and tell them. Darn it, I also need to call my 2 repeat med sup clients from this morning and tell them too. Oh yeah, then there's that current med supp client that called me today about a 10,000 final expense policy. OKAY, WHO WANT'S THIS LEAD SINCE I'M UNEMPLOYED???

If I would have only known!!! :D I should have read your post beforehand, I could have slept in this morning....

I LOVE YOU MAN, KEEP UP THE STRONG WORK!!!

Last edited:
Back