Medicare Direct Mail: Postcards

Tscholar

Super Genius
I'm trying to figure out how often, meaning weekly or monthly, I should send Medicare direct mail to the same list. I'm wondering how many rounds I should send before I give up.

I'm trying to figure out how often, meaning weekly or monthly, I should send Medicare direct mail to the same list. I'm wondering how many rounds I should send before I give up.
Same area? Or exact same list?
If it’s exact same list two or three times max. Data gets old quickly.
If it’s the exact same area but you’re refreshing refreshing the list you can keep going infinitely. Just occasionally change the card verbiage. Mail monthly.

At one time the rule of thumb was to "touch" a prospect 3 to 7x before they decide to respond.

I started using a DM service last year and am having moderate success. Different variations of the letter arrive about a month apart . . . I have experimented with 4x and 5x mailings to the same list. Letter arrives in a plain envelope, "hand addressed" including the return address and a real stamp.

Scott mails about 400 per list each month. Each list targets specific zip codes and birth month.
https://www.t65inbound.com/

The zips are culled based on specific demographics and the solicitation is specific to Medigap plans.

Those who contact me are highly qualified and motivated. They have seen several letters from "me" and have an invitation to visit my YT channel and "get to know" me.

My ROI is close to break even which includes "twofers" and referrals. I should be profitable once the new clients get to renewal.

HI Somarco,
Thanks for the information. I will go and check this out.

I'm currently using MBP to mail out the T65 cards, ANOC and also FE cards as well as Birthday, etc cards. Their mailing list is .09 cents a contact and then postage with the first 50 postcards free per month for the cards. They do have custom color T5 cards with the clients first name imprinted on the front and back. (See attached.)

I'm always looking for better ways so thanks for the heads-up.

Best regards,
Duaine

Attachments

• Turning 65 Card.pdf
    311.5 KB · Views: 57
@Duaine nice looking card. What are the dimensions? How many do you mail each time? What kind of demographics are you targeting? How many repeat mailings . . . IOW, how many times do you "touch" the same list?

Postcards to me are a mixed bag. All the consumer info is readily available . . . nothing to open . . . if the message doesn't grab the recipient it is the first piece of mail to go in the trash. Even more so with T65 folks that are bombarded with mail . . . especially AARP that mails the same people almost weekly.

This is my first time using DM for T65, and I am looking for a specific crowd. The demographics I use are within 20 miles or so of my home (even though I don't sell F2F). I target areas with primarily single family home owners with a median income above $40k. The people who contact me are interested buyers, not tire kickers, and are looking for a specific product to fill their need.

This approach is expensive but I also don't waste a lot of time chasing "leads" that have a low probability of becoming clients. They contact me, not the other way around.

This is not for everyone and I am looking for residual income not quick money . . . I can afford to wait on the right one to come along. I am close to break even with FYC but even a "loss" is still a win with residual + referrals.

Last edited:
We are having some agents having success with mailing people turning 64 with a custom designed postcard. This is a really LONG play, but these agents have solid books that allow them to go out that far and wait for the revenue. May be a thought for those that are established and able to play it...

At one time the rule of thumb was to "touch" a prospect 3 to 7x before they decide to respond.

I started using a DM service last year and am having moderate success. Different variations of the letter arrive about a month apart . . . I have experimented with 4x and 5x mailings to the same list. Letter arrives in a plain envelope, "hand addressed" including the return address and a real stamp.

Scott mails about 400 per list each month. Each list targets specific zip codes and birth month.
https://www.t65inbound.com/

The zips are culled based on specific demographics and the solicitation is specific to Medigap plans.

Those who contact me are highly qualified and motivated. They have seen several letters from "me" and have an invitation to visit my YT channel and "get to know" me.

My ROI is close to break even which includes "twofers" and referrals. I should be profitable once the new clients get to renewal.
on your envelope, do you include your name in the return address? trying to see what would help my envelopes get opened.. wondering if including something about medicare on the envelope is a good idea or not.

on your envelope, do you include your name in the return address? trying to see what would help my envelopes get opened.. wondering if including something about medicare on the envelope is a good idea or not.

I'd recommend using your name. Adding a company name may help or it may deter, I'm not 100% sure. I've only ever used my name but some agents use their name and their company name - it's up to you (as they say in marketing, you could always "split test" it but even if you did that, most of us are working with pretty small data sets as far as numbers go).

Here is an image of the envelopes we use the most @ t65inbound.HW-Font Env9.png

Frank Kern (a Dan Kennedy-ish marketer) used to show some of his envelopes... they'd be a bit tattered, the stamp would go on slightly crooked (on purpose), a corner bent, and it looked generally sloppy *on purpose because then it got opened*.

Not saying to do that, but, I mean, if Frank Kern did it....

I'd recommend using your name. Adding a company name may help or it may deter, I'm not 100% sure. I've only ever used my name but some agents use their name and their company name - it's up to you (as they say in marketing, you could always "split test" it but even if you did that, most of us are working with pretty small data sets as far as numbers go).

Here is an image of the envelopes we use the most @ t65inbound.View attachment 7786

This was literally my design when I started processing my own.. thief! :P It doesn't matter that I also stole your initial concept and you helped me with getting costs down.. I WANT ROYALTIES!

All of that said, I've found that the hand writing font with just your name is successful. Company names read marketing. These letters ARE marketing, but more of a conversation starter.

The goal, and 3/4ths of the battle, is stopping them from going in the trash.

Bill makes a huge point that people don't consider. This is a long play. If you need sales TODAY this style isn't for you. Luckily, I have a sugar momma at home that let's me play video games all day while she brings home the bacon... but only vegan bacon... which is gross.

Back