Mega Strikes Again NASE/UGA/HEALTHMARKETS

NASE/Mega

Does anybody now the deal with Mega? Seems like a lot of bitter people on here commenting about them. Is it because they are difficult to sell against? They aren't good, not a good company to work for? I'm supposed to start with them next week.....

Re: United Group (Mega Life)

I think that no matter what insurance company your with there will be negative things said. I just want to learn the ropes, work with integrity and grow into the business. For every bad thing said, there seems to be positive things as well.
The positive is that after you work for them and realize the crap you were selling, you will be a better person.

Rick

Of course there are all of the great "success stories" with Mega agents, does anyone here actually work for them and have a successful career? Again, I am just starting and United American was another choice but I haven't heard anything good about them either.....

Re: NASE/Mega

I have never worked with them for them or against them. Wanted to say that up front.

Unless things have changed recently, these two companies market limited benefit plans that are "not intended to replace major medical coverage". That should be your starting point.

Simply, if you have gone or are going to go the all of the trouble to get licensed, insured and trained, you should know the pros and cons of what your intend to sell and what the other available options are for clients.

I would suggest obtaining a summary of benefits for the plans you intend to sell (Mega or whichever) and then obtain a summary of benefits from one or two reputable health insurers (like your state's BCBS). Take some time and sit down and compare the benefits, deductibles, limitations and all of the plans. After you do that, and I mean really do that, then you can make a truly educated decision about what company and products you want to be involved with.

Earnings are important but, to me, secondary to integrity. If you know the ins and outs of the products you are selling and how they really compare to other products in the market, then you will be in the best position to determine which direction will work best for you. It will also help you to determine a logical market for what you are selling. For example, limited benefit plans may work well with uninsurables who have no option for major medical coverage but need some kind of protection. Again, this will come from your research. Know your market, know your product and know where it fits.

I don't think that the comments you are referring to are necessarily directed at the company, but more to the agents who have sold certain types of plans in disguise pretending they were more comprehensive than they really were.

Dave
The David Fluker Health Insurance Agency - Gilroy, California - Serving California Residents Since 1995

Stay away! stay away! stay away! Just my opinion, I actually had the "pleasure" of working for UGA and Mega for a short time. Do what you will, just don't believe everything that they will tell you and avoid "bashing the competition" like so many of their agents do. And yes, I couldn't agree more, get a complete understanding of the plans through Mega! To each his own, but for me no thanks.

Last edited:

Of course Mega agents will paint you the pie in the sky picture like NAA etc. but the truth is a bit different. I couldn't agree with Rick more. There is something to be said about their "leads", and "support" etc. Good to ask some veterans (not me I'm still new) before jumping in though, I wish I would have done that. And yes, look at the plans before you sell them, take what they say with a grain of salt, and figure out what is going to happen to your clients if you ever leave Mega.

Thanks to all of you for your insight!!! I will take your advice and do a little more research!!

Before you start working for them, tell them that you want to see the product info. If your experience with Mega is (or will be) anything like my experience with UA, they are going to tell you how great everything is and then reveal the devilish details after you're already into it.

Tell ya what. Tell them that before you go any further, you want them to give you a presentation as if you were a customer looking for some health insurance. They will probably say, "oh, we'll get to that later in your "training." Explain that you want to see what you'll be doing before you go any further. Let them give you the presentation. Listen to the presentation and ask SPECIFIC questions. Ask them if this is covered, and that, and this, and that. Ask about the EXACT level and limits of coverage. Ask again later to see if they have been straight with you. Get a quote on a Mega plan. Then, go get some quotes on a major medical plan with similar deductibles.

At this point you have played the role of the customer, done what the customers will often do and say, and you have seen how upfront the manager is in a sales presentation. Now that you've put yourself in the customer's shoes and compared to other plans, you will be able to come to an informed decision on if you want to sell these type of plans.

I don't think that NASE is a place were you are going to make your home, or have a career with, But the best health insurance agents i know where trained there. When I say best agents that is agents writing over 1 Million of new health premium per year. NASE teaches the agent how to work and sell.

if i were you, go there for the training knowing that you will make very little money, then go independent and get access to the best major medical contracts you can and you should be in business.

Back