Missed enrolling in Part B

People here have said it's $134 for part B for the year 2018. $26 extra is the penalty. That's 10% of $134 per year for two years. Makes sense to me, no?

Are you saying $134 is for the couple combined? I don't think that's true as my mom and dad both received a letter each.

Excuse me. I had some beers earlier. Yes, 2 years of no part B would be roughly $26 penalty

What does the part B cost have to do with the PDP?

Nothing. But I can tell she had no idea what premiums were for anything. So I was saying if she saw an increased premium it could include part D. But obviously they could be penalized 20% for part b which would explain the $160

Thanks for your help so far here and also through messaging. I am learning as fast as I can before we make a decision. How do these Medicare Advantage plans work compared to Medicare Supplemental Plans like F, G?
My parents are outside US and they applied for SS and M from there thinking M was free even part B. Now, they need SS money so they can continue to live in tropical weather for a few more years. We are thinking putting Part B on hold is the best course of action as that will preserve the window for buying supplemental insurance when they get back here. They can't keep paying $200 or so per person for Plan F or G when they won't even be utilizing any benefits.

Some Medicare advantage plans have $0 premiums. So, that's an option to consider but are they good?

Thanks for your help so far here and also through messaging. I am learning as fast as I can before we make a decision. How do these Medicare Advantage plans work compared to Medicare Supplemental Plans like F, G?
My parents are outside US and they applied for SS and M from there thinking M was free even part B. Now, they need SS money so they can continue to live in tropical weather for a few more years. We are thinking putting Part B on hold is the best course of action as that will preserve the window for buying supplemental insurance when they get back here. They can't keep paying $200 or so per person for Plan F or G when they won't even be utilizing any benefits.

Some Medicare advantage plans have $0 premiums. So, that's an option to consider but are they good?

Define good. Some have $6700 MOOP. Can they afford that?

I believe the MA plan discussion is academic if they are not going to take Part B. MA requires enrollment in Parts A and B because it is an alternate way of receiving those services. If your parents have no idea where they will live when they return to the US and/or they have concerns about whether the medical professionals they would wish to see will be in a Medicare Advantage network, MA may be an unwise decision at this time.

Edit, an agent would have to address this, also for consideration, I think if they took a zero cost MA plan now as a "placeholder" and then developed a serious medical condition, it is possible they would be unable to leave the MA plan for a Medigap plan at a later date.

Non of us plans to get sick, but it has been my experience that you can go along quite happily not being ill, and then suddenly and unexpectedly you are-and all your medical options and requirements suddenly have changed.

good in the sense of healthcare networks, good doctors with reasonable waiting periods to see.

In my area that would only be a PPO. Even then, they could lose their doctor at any time and will have MOOP of $6700. I'm not sure how MAPD plans are in Michigan. Not to be a broken record, but they really need to talk to a local agent who knows how to help them.

Latest posts

Back