Missed enrolling in Part B

I believe the MA plan discussion is academic if they are not going to take Part B. MA requires enrollment in Parts A and B because it is an alternate way of receiving those services. If your parents have no idea where they will live when they return to the US and/or they have concerns about whether the medical professionals they would wish to see will be in a Medicare Advantage network, MA may be an unwise decision at this time.

They will live with me and they do have a doctor here that they are seeing since 10 years. Concern is not having Part B in place when they return and going without it for a few weeks.

In my area that would only be a PPO. Even then, they could lose their doctor at any time and will have MOOP of $6700. I'm not sure how MAPD plans are in Michigan. Not to be a broken record, but they really need to talk to a local agent who knows how to help them.
Someone that understands Medicare, Social Security and American Citizens living overseas.

Particularly if the social security is their only income and it is a relatively small amount, applying for it to fund overseas living with the idea that they would have it all available after taxes to support that living, they appear to have some problems which you all need a knowledgeable person to help you sort through. They may, or may not, be able to accomplish their goals.

If they rescind the Part B now, they will have to go through the general enrollment period to get it when they come back (Jan-Mar for July 1 coverage), and their penalty will go up.

Signing up for Parts A & B outside the U.S. | Medicare.gov
Thanks, in the link you posted the below example fits them. They were wrong to file for Part B from outside. If we bring this to Medicare's attention and they will unenroll their Part B then our issue is resolved for now. When they come back, they have to apply for Part B again and according to the below it will be penalty free and will be valid from the day they land in US(hopefully).

Example
You must live in the U.S. to file for Part B if all of these apply:

• You're a U.S. citizen
  • You're over 65
  • You're not eligible for Social Security benefits
  • You lived in a foreign country when you turned 65
You're first eligible to enroll in Part B the month you return to the U.S. to establish your new residence. You won't have to pay a late enrollment penalty if you enroll in Part B within 3 months of when you first return to the U.S.

That's a risk you have to ask them if they are willing to take.

Yes, yes, yes to that one. they need to be actively involved.

Again, I am NOT an agent. But, if the system allows them to qualify unconditionally for Part B upon returning from overseas living, My feeling is that you are adding an unnecessary level of risk and expense to their lives by implementing Part B and suplements now.

If you/they want to assume good health, they could be out their 20% share of some doctor visits upon return before they got the other stuff going. So what? Just part of the price for some overseas living.

BUT AS CHAZM SAYS YOU NEED TO DISCUSS ALL THIS WITH SOMEONE WHO THOROUGHLY UNDERSTANDS ALL THE ISSUES INVOLVED.

Again, I am NOT an agent. But, if the system allows them to qualify unconditionally for Part B upon returning from overseas living, My feeling is that you are adding an unnecessary level of risk and expense to their lives by implementing Part B and suplements now.

Yes, I have the same feeling. That's the right thing to do.

Back