MLR Revisited

look what I found in my email......nothing but warm and fuzzys....

Legislative Alert: Future of Brokers’ Commissions
Dear Scott,
On September 15, 2011, the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health heard testimony regarding the treatment of Brokers’ commissions in the Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) portion of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), as well as the effect the interim final rules on grandfathering will have on the health insurance marketplace (specifically, the MLR Repeal Act of 2011, HR 2077).
Subcommittee Chair Joseph R. Pitts (R-PA) provided the opening remarks, quoting President Obama:
  • On July 21, 2009, Obama stated, “If you like your current plan, you will be able to keep it. Let me repeat that: If you like your plan, you’ll be able to keep it.”
  • He also said in April of 2010, “If you like your insurance plan, you will keep it. No one will be able to take that away from you. It hasn’t happened yet. It won’t happen in the future.”
“Despite these repeated claims,” Pitts noted, “it has become abundantly clear that Obama’s ‘if you like it, you can keep it’ promise to the American people has been broken. By the Administration’s own estimates, 49 to 80 percent of small-employer plans, 34 to 64 percent of large-employer plans, and 40 to 67 percent of individual insurance coverage will not be grandfathered by the end of 2013.”1
Grandfathering Pros and Cons
Steve Larsen, director of the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), provided the subcommittee with arguments in favor of PPACA’s grandfathering and MLR provisions. Despite his concise and systemic defense, his testimony failed to break new ground on the issues.
Testifying on behalf of the Galen Institute was President Grace-Marie Turner who said, “It is in the interest of both employers and employees to keep health costs down, and the grandfathering regulations issued by HHS restrict their ability to do that.” Her testimony provided several key observations2:
  • While most companies initially hoped they would be able to preserve much of their existing group health plans under the new grandfather provisions, a survey by Aon Hewitt Consulting found almost all will not. The Administration’s own estimates indicate most employers will not be able to maintain grandfathered status.
  • The grandfathering rules box employers into a corner. They cannot make changes or implement minor modifications to their health plans to keep costs down without being forced to comply with expensive PPACA regulations that increase their health costs.
  • Health costs are directly related to creation of new jobs. Higher health costs put
    additional pressures on the employer’s bottom line and increase the cost of hiring new workers, in turn discouraging job creation. This is not good news for the economy or for unemployed workers.
The MLR Misfire
Janet Trautwein, CEO of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU), urged subcommittee members to find a quick and bipartisan solution to the MLR problem. “The economic outlook for many health insurance agents and brokers across the country continues to be bleak,” she said. "As health insurance companies renew and revise their agent and broker contracts for the upcoming year, it is clear the financial situation for many of these business owners is getting worse.”3
She continued, “I am here to save agent and broker jobs and preserve individual consumer and employer access to professional health insurance advocates. I am not here to score political points. There are too many American businesses at stake.”4
Trautwein summarized her powerful testimony by stating:
“Removing agent and broker pass‐through commissions from the MLR calculation would restore economic stability for licensed health insurance advisors nationally and it would benefit health insurance consumers and health insurance markets. Exempting the pass‐through fees would preserve existing cost‐saving practices by the producers in the current health insurance market, furthering the intent of the PPACA MLR provisions to reduce overall spending on administrative costs. At the same time, it would preserve important operational conveniences and consumer protections for small businesses and individuals. Finally, eliminating independent producer commissions from the MLR calculation will go a long way toward providing uniform and needed relief to all health insurance markets – and the consumers who reside within them – during the transitional period as PPACA requirements are fully implemented over the next three years.”5
She also said that NAHU supported the passage of HR 1206 as well as the repeal of PPACA and subsequent rules via HR 2077.
Wendell Potter of the Center for Public Integrity expressed support of PPACA’s treatment of the grandfather issue, while continuing his attacks on the health insurance industry. His testimony was consistent with prior statements made on the MLR issue as a National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ consumer representative.6 He portrayed the health insurance industry as being rapacious and one that must be regulated to the highest extent.
“The top priority of for-profit companies is to drive up the value of their stock,” Potter said. “Wall Street’s dictates determined whether millions of American families would be offered coverage, whether they could keep it, and how much they would be charged for it, but ignores the fact that large segments of the large health insurance carriers are not-for-profits.”7
Finally, Lynn Bates Quincy, senior policy analyst for the Consumers Union, in her testimony stated, “The proposed legislation would broaden the definition of what qualifies as a grandfathered plan and calls for a blanket exemption from all PPACA requirements. If enacted, this proposal would reduce access to valuable new consumer protections.”8 She further noted, “The proposed legislation not only broadens the definition of grandfathered plan but also expands the list of consumer protections that would no longer apply.”9
According to Bates, “Proposals to repeal or weaken the MLR rule should be rejected. These proposals would raise premiums for consumers. In 2014, that means increasing the need for tax-payer financed subsidies. The current MLR provision is working and should be retained. The current MLR rule is providing a value for consumers in the form of lower premiums and more medical care for their premium dollar.”10
Chairman Pitts summarized the issues by stating:
  • “Again, while the MLR has been billed as a tool to protect consumers from insurance companies, many states are clamoring for waivers to exempt their citizens from these protections.”
  • The Secretary of HHS is empowered to grant MLR waivers to states that can prove that meeting the 80 or 85 percent thresholds will destabilize its insurance market.
  • Currently, HHS has granted MLR waivers to five states – Maine, New Hampshire, Nevada, Kentucky, and Iowa. With these waivers, consumers in these states are now protected from one of the health care law’s key “consumer protections.”
  • Residents of North Dakota and Delaware are not as lucky. HHS rejected their waivers.
  • Nine more states – Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Indiana, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, and North Carolina – have determined their insurance markets will be destabilized by having to comply with the MLR regulation.
“The MLR regulation is also costing jobs at a time when unemployment remains stubbornly above 9 percent,” Pitts concluded. “HHS’ interim final rule on MLR includes health insurance agent and broker commissions in the ‘administrative costs’ category. Many plans, desperate to meet the 80 or 85 percent threshold, simply cannot afford to use brokers and agents as they once did. I strongly support H.R. 2077, introduced by Dr. Tom Price and Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, which repeals the section of the Public Health Service Act dealing with MLR requirements, which was added by the new health care law, and I would urge my colleagues to support it.”11
BenefitMall recognizes that these are significant issues that go to the very heart of how Brokers can support their clients. It is encouraging that these hearings are being held, but the short-term reality is that HR 2077 will not proceed beyond the U.S. House of Representatives. We will continue to bring these issues to your attention.
Please visit www.BenefitMall.com to view past Legislative Alerts. Or, you may visit www.HealthcareExchange.com for blog posts, polls, surveys and numerous resources.
Sincerely,

Michael_Gomes.png

Michael Gomes
Executive Vice President

I gotta question - doesn't advertising costs fall into the MLR category? There sure has been a lot of direct advertising going on by ins companies, at least around here. Seems like almost everyone is touting their plans on TV, radio, internet, etc, and not just Medicare plans, indy too. Am I missing something, or did I help pay for those ads with my comp?

Not only advertising, but salaries, benefits, etc for HO reps.

When carriers take over the role of agents, their advertising costs go up.

When new biz is handled by in house reps, their costs go up. Reps are paid whether they sell or not. Paid if the phone rings or not.

Plus benefits.

And HO generated business doesn't stay on the books as long. Average 5 months.

This is offset somewhat by HO reps selling high profit plans (copays with lower deductible) and add on business like dental, accident. Can't be that profitable overall vs agent driven business.

H1 rep mentioned that something like 80% of HO generated business was sold with dental vs. 15% or so for agent driven business.

You still don't get lower expenses when everything is totaled for HO generated business vs agents.

Not only advertising, but salaries, benefits, etc for HO reps.

When carriers take over the role of agents, their advertising costs go up.

When new biz is handled by in house reps, their costs go up. Reps are paid whether they sell or not. Paid if the phone rings or not.

Plus benefits.

And HO generated business doesn't stay on the books as long. Average 5 months.

This is offset somewhat by HO reps selling high profit plans (copays with lower deductible) and add on business like dental, accident. Can't be that profitable overall vs agent driven business.

H1 rep mentioned that something like 80% of HO generated business was sold with dental vs. 15% or so for agent driven business.

You still don't get lower expenses when everything is totaled for HO generated business vs agents.

So this is where I am confused, how do they fit this extra cost in with their MLR being dictated by the govt? What am I missing, some smoke and mirrors or what?

What am I missing, some smoke and mirrors or what?

Pretty much.

P&C carriers can get away with direct to consumer since auto policies are fairly standard. Same for term life carriers.

But health insurance has too many moving parts and challenging underwriting which makes it almost impossible for the average consumer to make a wise decision.

The Medicare companies are making a big push now that is is "open season" for seniors and they want to bag as many as they can. Seniors may trust the carrier more than the agent especially since the carrier usually won't send someone to their house.

HO reps for major med are order takers. As long as the carrier can funnel enough calls to the reps everyone believes life is grand.

Some of the carriers are catching on that the HO generated major med business isn't working so well and are already talking about increasing comp to agents next year.

If that happens it will be nice but it won't be like in the past, for them or us. Too many agents have already retooled for something other than major med as their prime source of income. Even if comp increases by 40% or so the carriers still won't write as much as they would if they had simply left us alone or even put in smaller cuts rather than 50% or so.

Humana has dropped rates 3x now in GA since the first of the year to avoid paying a refund to policyholders. Of course that means a drop in our comp every time they do that, but who is keeping score?

Carriers are run by some really stupid folks and this whole Obamneycrap thing just drives the point home. They thought they were going to get a windfall and instead were thrown under the bus.

Regardless of what happens next year at SCOTUS or in the election, the major med business is not going to be the same from here on out and everyone loses.

Pretty much.

But health insurance has too many moving parts and challenging underwriting which makes it almost impossible for the average consumer to make a wise decision.

True - that's why some call us. Maybe they will miss us when we are gone :skeptical:.

HO reps for major med are order takers. As long as the carrier can funnel enough calls to the reps everyone believes life is grand.

Many of them don't have a clue.

Some of the carriers are catching on that the HO generated major med business isn't working so well and are already talking about increasing comp to agents next year.

Who?

Humana has dropped rates 3x now in GA since the first of the year to avoid paying a refund to policyholders. Of course that means a drop in our comp every time they do that, but who is keeping score?

Especially with renewal at 5% on initial premium only. Maybe that is why I got a flyer in the mail yesterday, and the big dog indy agent is back to advertising C1.

Carriers are run by some really stupid folks and this whole Obamneycrap thing just drives the point home. They thought they were going to get a windfall and instead were thrown under the bus.

Still, bet their top dogs are still getting some pretty good pay.

Regardless of what happens next year at SCOTUS or in the election, the major med business is not going to be the same from here on out and everyone loses.

True, it may not be ideal right now, but Obamacare doesn't fix it, it's making it worse. Got an email from H1 yesterday showing a sample letter they are sending out to groups for "census purposes related to Health Care Reform". Talk about Big Brother! I am assuming other carriers are having to do the same thing, just haven't heard from them yet. I am also sure this information is headed straight to the IRS.

All of these items make me wonder, can I retire early? NOT!

the big dog indy agent is back to advertising C1.

Figured he wouldn't be gone long.

Coventry could not survive without him pumping in the premium. Given all the stuff they do over there they make BX look like geniuses. I don't know why Cov has not self destructed yet.

His lap dog will probably show up and defend him. He jumps in from time to time when he feels some have maligned TM.

bet their top dogs are still getting some pretty good pay.

Of course they are, and some even got golden parachutes.

I am assuming other carriers are having to do the same thing, just haven't heard from them yet. I am also sure this information is headed straight to the IRS.

Probably right.

Of course HHS is collecting data too.

Went to the dentist a few months back and they are now on EMR. They had to know exactly how many times per week I floss.

Not kidding.

I had to give a number for my file which was then transmitted to DC.

And then there is this too . . .

Articles - Washington Wants Your Private Medical Records

can I retire early?

Absolutely.

You may have to adjust your standard of living a bit, but you can retire any time.

Has Wal-Mart called yet?

Can't retire early, can't retire period probably. That's okay, I like to work, I just like to work and get paid well, especially if I work hard. That's the problem!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Coventry could not survive without him pumping in the premium. Given all the stuff they do over there they make BX look like geniuses. I don't know why Cov has not self destructed yet.

His lap dog will probably show up and defend him. He jumps in from time to time when he feels some have maligned TM.quote]

No maligning going on, just making an observation. It's interesting, the comp is better at C1 than H1, for us peons at least. He's probably getting better than the street rate. Have at it I say. It's just an unknown future that is making it harder and harder to justify advertising indy, so I am really curious why some continue at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out this MLR thing and insurance company advertising. It's simple really, they aren't advertising their insurance, they are advertising their wellness programs. I would think that wouldn't fall under the MLR 20% since these "value-added programs" are supposed to make people healthier, and I guess in their defense some of these things actually would, if people actually used them. Smoke and mirrors though on the advertising side. We have helped pay for this with our comp $$.

Back