More than a half million Americans gain coverage under Biden

The insurance industry is based on shared risk. not everyone will have an accident but those that do are subsidized with the premiums of others. Shared healthcare costs work on the same principle.

I tend to agree with this argument.

We're one of the few first world countries that do not have a universal health system.

The larger the risk pool, the lower the costs.

Secondly, other countries that have a universal Healthcare system do not have doctors or nurses work for free.

As for universal Healthcare being a right, that argument started in the 1950s.

Free Markets don't work when you don't have opportunities to shop. Healthcare is literally the only industry where when something happens, you have to resolve it immediately.

Does that make it a right? No.

Does it make it the bare minimum that the government could do with our tax dollars? I think so.

Which law grants that "right"?

There are two types of rights, legal and fundamental.

Not saying healthcare is an inalienable right.. but it probably should be. Had healthcare been as advanced in 1776 as it is today, I'd be willing to bet that it would have fallen under the life aspect of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The hardest part, for me, to digest is that the argument against universal Healthcare is really, "if you have money, you can get treatment for health concerns."

All the while not understanding (or caring) that these people DO get treatment for stabilization, regardless of if they can pay or not. So, you have people that get into crises, get stabilized, can't pay, can't get preventative, have crises, can't pay.. circle...

Who do you think pays for that? That'd be you and me.

It's cheaper to allow people preventative and long term stabilization treatment vs taking them at their absolute worst where they certainly can't pay.

Last edited:
The insurance industry is based on shared risk. not everyone will have an accident but those that do are subsidized with the premiums of others. Shared healthcare costs work on the same principle.

No, the insurance industry is based on profit.

We sell the mitigating of risk [at a profit]... or put another way we sell a solution to specific catastrophic risks at an aggregate price above projected cumulative loss.

We only earn a commission as long as there is profit.

Frankly, I'd like to keep it that way for the foreseeable future.

Insurance is about profit, not charity. Always has been.

When I sold roofs, we had a saying, "We aren't habitat for humanity."

They have their lane, and we have ours. We can support them, but we operate for profit.

Imagine the p&c forum talking about car insurance as a basic human right...lol.

Give me a break..

So............................... you're saying we should force doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers to work for free?

Show me where I said that. When I was a kid it was knee-jerk liberals shooting from the lip. Now ity's knee-jerk "conservatives" doing the same. You give us the break.

I don't know one American who would say that we do not have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..

If we agree to that, then it follows that we also have a right to whatsoever is necessary to support the continuation of such a life freely pursuing happiness.

Food, water, and healing measures when ill are all human rights. No one said that they need be free. Even the caveman paid for his supper with his labor.

But how does one argue that any of these should be withheld from one who cannot afford them, especially when health care has become so wildly unaffordable for many?

What is wrong with a public option, with a single small premium, reasonable co-insurance, and the choice to buy relatively affordable private insurance to cover those co-insurance gaps?

Why is such a regime good for 65 and over and not for those under 65?

Wouldn't the economy so much stronger if the $1000+ monthly premiums were reduced to $148.50, and families could use the remaining $851.50 to save for retirement, fund their children's college educations, and spend on products and vacations that otherwise they must forego?

And for those who are either temporarily or permanently unable to work to pay for those minimal premiums, what is wrong with a public support?

Imagine the p&c forum talking about car insurance as a basic human righ

This is a fallacy argument...

Car insurance isn't literally a matter of life and death. Health insurance (and more specifically HEALTHCARE is..)

Let's say for an example, you have a car accident. The adjuster offers you a settlement amount. You have time to shop body shops to get the best deal.

Now, let's say you are having a stroke, or cancer, or a diabetic crisis... do you have time to shop hospitals and the like? Furthermore, can you shop ANY doctor or hospital in the moment?

The answer is no.

Comparing property insurance and health insurance is a really poor analogy.

Furthermore, just as an aside.. let's just say we expanded Medicare, as it is today, to all Americans.

1) Funding would go through the roof as more premiums would flood in.
2) Law of large numbers would (in theory) reduce costs, as health, younger people would have access.
3) Your market expands greatly.
4) Insurance companies would make more money.

There's a win/win here for profits and the human elimate of this argument.

Last edited:
No, the insurance industry is based on profit.

We sell the mitigating of risk [at a profit]... or put another way we sell a solution to specific catastrophic risks at an aggregate price above projected cumulative loss.

We only earn a commission as long as there is profit.

Frankly, I'd like to keep it that way for the foreseeable future.

Insurance is about profit, not charity. Always has been.

When I sold roofs, we had a saying, "We aren't habitat for humanity."

They have their lane, and we have ours. We can support them, but we operate for profit.

Imagine the p&c forum talking about car insurance as a basic human right...lol.

Don't feel bad you battling the new prescribed mindset where up is down and right is wrong left is right and common sense is not allowed

Back