Need Advice and Direction

Larry, excellent point.

Also, I won't get into the details about the 1,000+ club, but I look forward to seeing you there!

Another weasely shallow contribution. If you're shooting for the 1,000 posts at least try to add something of substance once in a while.

And before you decide to call me out on this, simply go back and read your last 20 posts for content. I did. I stand by my post.

You notice that every few months we get a guy like him on the forum? Usually they go away but clearly this guy doesn't have a job and has nothing else to do.

Rick

I would go captive as a career agent, some of the companies out there will set you up on a good start pay and you can achieve in the first year more than you are looking for.

I'm assuming I'm at somewhat at a disadvantage because I don't have a business degree. However, are there any companies that would be willing to train me?

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate the feedback. I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here so I'm trying to consider various options. What about if I wanted to work for an insurance company like New York Life, Metlife, etc? What kind of things could I do there? I've been thinking about underwriting, but I don't know how I would go about doing that.

What state do you live in?

Do you live near any big insurance company?

Masters in a non business speciality is not going to get you higher up on the ladder. I can't speak for insurance, but I can speak for Corporate America, you will likely have to start at the bottom (or close to it) and work your way up. Insurance = commission = you will have to work hard to succeed. In your prior endeavors, were you the hardest worker amongst your peers? If not, do not go into commission work.

I hope you do well, but the probability of you making $50k in a new industry with just an unrelated masters deg is very slim.

As to what can you do? Anything at the bottom level (look for management trainee positions).

Best of luck!

I'm assuming I'm at somewhat at a disadvantage because I don't have a business degree. However, are there any companies that would be willing to train me?

I would argue a business degree would be an actual hindrance in selling insurance.

Back