Need advice please

FJ33

Hi guys. I’m currently in a debacle. My sister totaled her car last Wednesday night. She rear ended a truck after a few people slammed on their brakes. She then forgot she had full coverage and didn’t bother to even check. The tow guy picked up the vehicle and brought it to his shop. We made it over there Thursday afternoon to clean it out and workout a deal with him on the tow/storage. Ended up costing $300 and we gave him the title. We didn’t go through insurance and avoided them altogether. Car is worth maybe 5k. Fast forward to this morning she found out she did indeed have full coverage. I called the tow guy immediately and asked if he scrapped the vehicle yet, he said no and he would hold onto it until I get a chance to talk to him tomorrow morning. My question is this: Will insurance still cover her vehicle after signing the title over to him and not reporting it yet? The police report also isn’t even available yet. The company is geico. It sounds like the tow company is willing to work with us on it. Thank you.

Will insurance still cover her vehicle after signing the title over to him and not reporting it yet?

Sure. She owned the car on the date of the accident and had insurance.

She should have reported it right away anyway. The owner of the vehicle she hit (or his/her insurance company) will be coming after her for the repair cost.

Back