New Agent in Louisiana

I made a response earlier but I must have made it while logged out because my response was sent to the moderator for approval. I'll wait to see if it posts.

I appreciate your response and its good to know I have another brother in Louisiana. I am honored that you made an account to create your response. Maybe we can meet up or talk on the phone some time.

Good Luck to you, feel free to PM if you would like to talk. I'm not a recruiter, just an agent like yourself. I have been on this forum for 5 years, and have took advantage of a lot of good advise, so I figured it's time to start giving back.

Whether you with AIL, or any other company, your ability to be successful is dependent upon you. The reality is that about 5% - 20% of most new agents will not make the first year. I know this because I recruited and trained for a captive company (health side only). So if you like AIL's business model, go for it. All were saying, based on past experience, AIL would not be our first choice.

As for my manager situation; my direct supervisor has been there over a year, the one above him who hired me and trained my direct supervisor has been there over 2 years and he worked his way up and has a lot of performance frames on his wall, the girl in his office (I don't know her title) has been there over 2 years, and the main top office manager has been there over 3 years and has an MBA.

As you stated, it was 10 years ago, and I was in a different part of the state. It sounds like your office is more stable than the one I started in. Whether AIL or not, as a captive agent you will give up half of your commissions for training and support. Make sure that what you are getting in exchange is worth what you are losing. Your training should teach you how to prospect, fact-find, build need, fill need, close, and service your business. This should all be taught in a systematic system in the field, and office. Management should have a plan in place to help you if you struggle, and when your in a slump. In other words, if your working and not writing business, how are they correcting that. Even if you are properly trained, your not going to want to do what you have to do to be successful, that is where the YOU factor has to come in. I've attached the best article about the Life Insurance business I've ever read. I still read this article 3-4 times a year. I found it on an insurance forum.

It sounds like you felt the leads were poor or the product was not competitive with others so clients would not buy? I am not sure and I can only assume. 10 Years is a long time and I will certainly write a review for the benefit of the forum good or bad and to let you know if things have changed. We bring a laptop and show presentations on it so it makes the sales script easier. Thank you.

In life insurance you are not competing against other life insurance companies, you are competing against people who do not understand they have the need. Don't worry about what the other companies are doing, just the prospects. Also there are not good or bad leads, just leads. Look up Don Runge, leads are just an invitation to talk.

If I had to start captive again, here in Louisiana, and I want to do Life and Financial Services, I would probably go captive with one of the Mutual's (NYL, Mass Mutual, Met-Life, etc.). I don't know the NOLA area so it's hard to advise the best one, that really depends on your local management. Get ready to sell to friends and family and pitch the "Fancy" life insurance. lol

If you do want the independent route, Final Expense would be a great place to start. You have a couple of good FMO's on this forum that help agents get started in FE. They will pay street and even help with field training. I even think that one FMO will take a bigger cut of your contract, but will make up for it with extensive field training and other personal support. Just make sure you have some money for leads, or a good door knocking and/or cold-calling script.

Good Luck, be honest, help the client first, and I hope your successful.

Back